1962 Olds Dynamic 88 driver's side lower ball joint replacement

When a college student in the early 1980s I needed to replace the ball joints on my 1962 Olds Dynamic 88.  Sent away to Kanter Auto Parts and in due time they arrived.  Then was told they were wrong because the thread was right-handed and I needed left-handed thread (or vice versa, don't recall specifically).  I don't know if it was because they sent the driver's side (left side) when I needed the passenger side (right side) or if two different versions existed for that year.

Now, I need the left (driver's side) lower ball joint replaced and am looking for the part.

1.  Is the right and left lower ball joint the same, or do they have different threads?

2.  If the same, did they produce both left and right-handed versions, or am I misremembering an event from half a century ago?

3.  Can the ball joints be interchanged with 1961 or 1963 full size Olds models?

Thanks,

Greg

Looks like 62 is a year unto itself. January 1965 parts book indicates different part numbers for 1961 and 1963, though it makes no distinction between right and left sides for either upper or lower ball joints. It does for 1957-60.

Group 6.178 p/n 380295, upper ball joint package including attaching nuts and bolts, 1962 except F85.

Group 6.174 p/n 586715, lower ball joint unit w/ attaching bolts, 1962 except F85.

I'll note that in the past you seem to have had doubts about info I've given you from the Oldsmobile factory parts books, so if this isn't satisfactory it's the best I can offer you.

Posted (edited)
19 hours ago, gregleck said:

When a college student in the early 1980s I needed to replace the ball joints on my 1962 Olds Dynamic 88.  Sent away to Kanter Auto Parts and in due time they arrived.  Then was told they were wrong...

So you didn't actually see how the ball joints were supposedly wrong in the 1980s, someone told you this?

Edited by joe_padavano (see edit history)