1926 ( late 1925) G70 6 CYL 218 ci Engine

This has been asked before several years ago - Has anyone ever seen or know of a red engine block and head  as a correct engine color with all covers, oil pan, and other bolt ons being black   ?  That is the color of the engine and head  when I my uncle got the car in 2001.  It is the original

engine for this car..  Car and mechanicals were original when completely disassembled in 1998- Car body, engine, everything.  Paint, interior, ect,      was done correctly. The engine ??  Head is Not a Redhead or Siverdome ( those were on later models ) part # on head is as listed in April 1926 

Chrysler 70 owners manual . I have looked at many photos of G70 and B70 engines 1924 thru27  and the engine block and head colors are 

all over the place and I have only seen 2 that were all black.  All the 4 cylinders seem to be all black.  I would like to paint the engine and head 

the correct colors since it is all apart. I would think there would still have been some evidence of engine paint still remaining after sitting in a

barn in Kentucky for 40 years - 1947 to 1999  ??  Below is a photo of the engine when I got it ( painted red as it was done during the frame off ).

Thanks, Cricket

25 G70 Engine.jpg

4 hours ago, cricketkj26 said:

This has been asked before several years ago - Has anyone ever seen or know of a red engine block and head  as a correct engine color with all covers, oil pan, and other bolt ons being black   ?  That is the color of the engine and head  when I my uncle got the car in 2001.  It is the original

engine for this car..  Car and mechanicals were original when completely disassembled in 1998- Car body, engine, everything.  Paint, interior, ect,      was done correctly. The engine ??  Head is Not a Redhead or Siverdome ( those were on later models ) part # on head is as listed in April 1926 

Chrysler 70 owners manual . I have looked at many photos of G70 and B70 engines 1924 thru27  and the engine block and head colors are 

all over the place and I have only seen 2 that were all black.  All the 4 cylinders seem to be all black.  I would like to paint the engine and head 

the correct colors since it is all apart. I would think there would still have been some evidence of engine paint still remaining after sitting in a

barn in Kentucky for 40 years - 1947 to 1999  ??  Below is a photo of the engine when I got it ( painted red as it was done during the frame off ).

Thanks, Cricket

25 G70 Engine.jpg

my 1928 series 72 engine was painted all red by the previous owner

who carried out a very detailed restoration sadly he got it wrong with engine colour and its not even a red head

I will have to repaint it at some stage to factory colours what ever they are

TspKldv2f6WePlQboC5lBeBODa6uu9ULWNoTmqBv.jpg

24Chry48, not so.  I'm restoring a 1928 Model 72 Sport Roadster and while stripping the engine block, bell housing/transmission and pedals found an avocado green color.  This coincides with a previous post from an owner of the same model car.  Unfortunately for us restorers of Chrysler automobiles there is a void of printed information about what Chrysler was doing prior to the 1930s.

Edited by leomara (see edit history)
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, leomara said:

24Chry48, not so.  I'm restoring a 1928 Model 72 Sport Roadster and while stripping the engine block, bell housing/transmission and pedals found an avocado green color.  This coincides with a previous post from an owner of the same model car.  Unfortunately for us restorers of Chrysler automobiles there is a void of printed information about what Chrysler was doing prior to the 1930s.

I agree with leomara about the lack of information on pre 1930 Chryslers it makes restoration that bit harder one example being the wheel base of the 72 series according to the book 70 years of Chrysler it is 120 1/2 others say 118 /3/4 which my 72 con coupe is the 118 3/4

That blue-green color you guys are finding on your 28's is the color that was used on the 31-32 Chryslers. I have not seen that on anything earlier, but now I have. The model 72 was a step up in luxury from the smaller Chryslers so the color may have been used on them but not on the others. I would not think it would be correct on the 24-26 models for sure. I have an unrestored 25 Crown Imperial. I will check tomorrow and see what it has. I believe it is black, but my memory plays tricks.

• Like 1

Here a some pictures of the rear of my 218 ci motor after I cleaned 90years of crud from it - this area of the motor is covered by the flywheel so is likely untouched.

Note the Green colour- it looks very similar to the colour Vintagebens photo. My engine is in a 1930 Model 66. I took the block to a paint supply and had them match some industrial enamel to this colour for painting my engine.

I think this may be relevant because the first series 66 had a 195ci motor then half way through the series they changed to a 218ci motor which I believe was used previously in the 1925 Model 70.

I believe it plausible to think that  Chrysler may have used this colour for engines prior to 1930. Just my 2 cents worth😊

Cheer's Mark

IMGP3634.JPG

IMGP3633.JPG

IMGP6676.JPG

• Like 1

My 1929 Series 65 as painted by myself based on advice from Sherwood Kahlenberg (long time president of the WPC Club) given to me around 1982: ca 1955 Ford Meadow Green color with silver (red) on head and with black accessories. However I do not know when this color was introduced and I also have noticed different opinions on the correct shade of green on e.g. a 1931/32 Imperial. As I bought 1 liter of the Meadow Green back in 1983 I'll stick with it and have used it on three engines so far, at least two more to come.

1471425397_CR180923fotoEkebergavandre(3).jpg.b3dc3de6a865969b6fc940b43dc67416.jpg

• Like 1

The paint which was recommended to me from the owner of a car like mine is Avocado Green #44955.  I got 3 rattle cans from R & E Paint Supply, 57 Avalon Ln, Mountain Home AR 72653 870-425-8131 USA.  It looks just like the color of 1930 Kram66's engine block.

The unique Chrysler blue/green/grey engine color was easy to replicate. When I removed the transmission tunnel cover on the Sedan donor car including the thick insulating pad on top of trans cover plate, the cover shown here (held on with 4 bolts) IMG_5556.JPG.2ded0508fe5a7b1b4b74727839b3486f.JPGwas in mint condition (after I carefully removed 90 years of grime), it had likely never seen daylight from time of manufacture. Took it to a local paint supplier who was able to scan it and reproduce exact color. Although there is a lot of it showing here, once installed in car, with all the attachments and accessories, very little of it is seen. The head is silver/grey, not entirely sure just what sheen they used in the day.IMG_6904.JPG.d5cdda30792ad1b8ec03b0fb1db09c5a.JPG

IMG_5609.JPG

• Like 2