85 Riviera

Hunterg34

We just put in the new motor and tranny this weekend. As I was shifting through all the gears the transmission wasn’t doing anything, car wasn’t driving. I seen the shift paddle move to different gears so it was shifting from inside car. Hello would be much appreciated.

My initial reaction is either the pump isn't working (hence the cooler line fluid flow check) or there's a valve body (solenoid?) problem; i.e., something is stuck or broken.

How do you make sure it engages the pump? I put it in and it spun normally. When I went to bolt up to engine the flex plate was about a 1/2 inch away from bolt mounts of them TC. I’m wondering if I bolted it and tc slid out of the pump shaft. Almost like I have to shim it away from there flex plate?

Edited by Hunterg34 (see edit history)

Usually once the torque converter is inserted into the transmission it needs to be rotated until the converter slides back into the transmission about 1/2", indicating that it has engaged the pump drive.  Once the bell housing is attached to the engine, the torque converter typically is pulled back out a bit (maybe 1/4" at most) to meet the flexplate.  From what you're saying it sounds to me as though the torque converter and flex plate may not be compatible with each other.  Did you install the converter that came with the new (used) transmission?  Did you install the flexplate from the transmission donor or is it your original?

I haven't done one of these FWD Rivieras myself, so I don't know what issues you may run into.  All I do know is these cars came with several different engines (i.e., Buick V6, Buick 350 V8 and Olds 307 V8).  Is your engine the same as the one that was in the car that donated the transmission?  If not, you probably need to change the torque converter.  Depending upon what was wrong with your original transmission I would consider installing a new or reman TC that's correct for your car.  That should ensure the flexplate/TC interface is correct.  The interface between the TC and transmission should then also be correct.

I'm guessing that the trans you have was from a car that had a different engine than yours.  If so, then bolting-up the TC to the flexplate may have moved it forward enough to disengage it from the pump.  That's why it would be good to open the cooler lines and see whether any ATF is circulating with the engine running.  Just fit a hose to the discharge line and clamp the open end into a bucket.  Start the engine and let it run for 10~15 seconds.  Shut the engine off and look for ATF in the bucket -- should be more than just whatever dribbles out of the line due to gravity...

• Thanks 1

I have an olds 350 motor and a trans out of a 1982 Oldsmobile Tornado. Torque converter is the same one that came with the trans. I’m really thinking when I snugged up the torque converter bolts it disengaged it from the pump. Rather than tearing it all out Am I able to just shim in between the TC and flexplate? Such a bummer.

Checked torque converter, it’s makin contact with the pump. Checked pressure and have no pressure. Dropped the pan to see if filter fell out and it didn’t. I don’t know what to do now other than drop the whole thing 

2 hours ago, Hunterg34 said:

I don’t know what to do now other than drop the whole thing

Me either - I think that's the next step.  You need to closely compare the converter in the trans with your original one.  Measure from the flexplate mounting pad to the end of the 'snout'.  Also compare depth of the notches in the two converters (they should be the same).  If the converters physically match then you'll need to inspect the pump drive.  If the converters check out there must be a problem with the pump drive or the pump itself.

I have no idea where the 350 came from but if you’re trying to use that converter with the FWD transmission, you need to realize that the 85’s transmission has an overdrive lock-up torque converter.  You definitely need the converter from another o/d lock-up transmission.  

Initially I had 2 gallons of ATF in, started it up ran it longer and boom finally went into gear and wheels moved: checked fluid and it was really low so I add 1 more gallon and jeep it running for another 15 minutes. Next day i start it up and put it in gear and nothing. What is going on? Can torque converter get air locked somehow? 

2 hours ago, Hunterg34 said:

Initially I had 2 gallons of ATF in, started it up ran it longer and boom finally went into gear and wheels moved: checked fluid and it was really low so I add 1 more gallon and jeep it running for another 15 minutes. Next day i start it up and put it in gear and nothing. What is going on? Can torque converter get air locked somehow? 

Is there a possibility the o ring is missing from the filter tube?? Or is the wrong size?

Tom Mooney

Sounds like it may be a bad torque converter.  I'd be surprised if you have a NEW torque converter; 99% of them are remanufactured and my observation over the years has been that 50% of them are bad right out of the box...

• Like 1