Picking a paint supplier

marcapra

Has anyone used this paint supplier before, Auto Color Library. https://www.autocolorlibrary.com  They are based in San Diego and they say they can sell me acrylic enamel.  My local paint store says they cannot sell me acrylic enamel.  And this paint store specializes in antique colors going back to buggies!  There is no charge for color matching and you choose your color online.  I am thinking of ordering my paint from them.  A gallon costs about $240.  

What ever paint you decide to go with. Stick with their product line. If you use PPG paint, use their compatible primers and surfaces. Lots of choices out there. Also ask the paint supplier for a cut/spec sheet on the paint. It will tell you compatible surfaces to use. As well as mixing, temperature, flash times and number of coats. I have a laser thermometer that tells you the surface temperature. Get the surface temperature in the recommended temp range for the products you use. Follow the flash times. Recommended by the manufacturer. I have used the hot rod black that they sell. Had nice results with it.

Edited by Xander Wildeisen (see edit history)
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I have used Auto Color Library and TCP Global many times. Very reputable. I have purchased acrylic enamel, acrylic lacquer and single-stage urethane from them.

All the paint is high quality. If you purchase the acrylic enamel, be sure to also buy the wet-look hardener. Makes the paint flow better.

As Xander recommends, stick with one brand all the way through: primer, paint, thinner, additives. Follow the instructions.

$240 for a gallon of paint is a good price.  The last gallon of acrylic lacquer I purchased from them was about $400. 

Go to https://tcpglobal.com/pages/restoration-shop and click the AE section (acrylic enamel).

P.S. Acrylic enamel is good, but you might want to look into using single stage urethane. Lays out a bit smoother and dries harder. Only drawback is that the fumes/vapors are more toxic. 

• Like 3

Ransom, yes I've heard that about acrylic urethane.  But is it more super glossy that acrylic enamel?  I'm trying to make the paint look original which would have been a synthetic enamel baked in an oven.  

If you're looking for an original look then I would stick with acrylic enamel. I would still use the additive to help the paint flow better. 

After you're done, you can color sand the paint to get a really smooth, deep finish. You have to be really careful in doing so. The acrylic enamel dries from the outside in, so if you polish too soon or too hard, you'll break through the shine in the paint -- your only remedy is to apply a new coat (and there is a time window in which you can safely do this). 

Read the paint instructions. You'll get all the info you need. 

Practice on a few spare fenders. Acrylic enamel is pretty forgiving and you can get really good results.

Let us know how everything goes.

• Like 1

I’m using their acrylic urethane on my 25 Dodge.  No issues with it. I’m an amateur painter so I end up color sanding and buffing.  Holds up well to this and gives me good results.