Lower Pin Seals , 55 Buck Special Installation Question

M1842

I am getting ready to reinstall my new lower control arm.  In the 55 Buick Shop Manual it says to install the seals over the ends of the control arm first, then install the pin, and finally stretch the seals around the ends of the control arm to allow them to seat.  Seems like installing them inline as you install the pin would work just as well.  Am I missing something here?

Mark

42 minutes ago, M1842 said:

Am I missing something here?

Mark

A good question! I did the upper pins with the shocks on my ‘46 Chevrolet and the manual has instructions to do the same. I didn’t. I did as you suggest and installed them without the stretch. I don’t trust the rubber these days, it’s probably cheap c$@p from China that won’t stretch over the parts without tearing. Things went well with the install. Good luck with your project. Let us know how it goes.

5 hours ago, old-tank said:

Do not install those seals.  The rubber is incompatible with oil and grease and will soon swell an become ineffective.  Match to some Buna-N O-rings.

Thanks for the tip!  I will look into that.  Got the old control arm off the cross member, now it is all putting stuff back together. :)

On 7/5/2022 at 2:11 PM, old-tank said:

Do not install those seals.  The rubber is incompatible with oil and grease and will soon swell an become ineffective.  Match to some Buna-N O-rings.

You have to wonder why they sell them if they’re not compatible with the grease needed to lubricate the parts.

• Like 1

Similar but different.  I can't find the nut that goes on the end of the pin to lock it into place, if I'm not able to find it again (though I think it is somewhere under the car), I will need to replace it.  The shop manual identifies it as a 7/8"-11 nut.  The only nuts I can find with that size and thread are BSF, somehow I can't see GM using British threads in 1955.  If I can't find a new one, does anyone have an old one?  I really don't want to have to buy an whole new lower pin assy.  If anyone knows where I might find such a nut new, please let me know.  :)

Mark

On 7/13/2022 at 3:39 PM, old-tank said:

Still looking just too hot right now at 108.

I found mine, I had put it in a "safe" place.  Now if only I can find everything else I put in safe places....

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

Good luck on this install.  It really is a pain to do.  You have to work with it.  I struggled with getting the seals installed and ruined two seals on the drivers side.  The pass. side went right on but the drivers side was a real pain.  If you have problems, let me know and I might be able to offer some advice.  

• Like 2

• 2 months later...

I finally got the control arm connected to the steering knuckle.  I had Mrs  M1842 run the floor jack while I guided the coil spring into position. Once everything lined up, I ran a brass drift through the ends. of the control arm, the two seals, and the steering knuckle to line everything and screwed the pin in.  Worked really well. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

And then, I saw that the spring was not in the bottom pocket correctly.  So the pin came out again, the arm slowly lowered until I could move the still compressed spring into the bottom pocket correctly.

Then I realized I had not finished putting the 4 bolts that hold the other of the arm to the front member.  So back underneath the car to finish that part of the job.

Film at 11.

• Haha 2

Dont you love it when that happens?  Whenever that happens to me the old ABC Wide World of Sports intro plays through my head. “The thrill of victory”….immediately followed by that ski dude crashing horrifically.

Bringing the human drama of antique car restoration and maintenance.  🤣

• Like 3
  • Haha 2