Willard 6 Volt Battery Benefits?

Hi, I am new to the club, and recently acquired a 41 Chrysler Windsor Highlander. The battery is dead, although it looks like new. It is a Willard 6 volt that I have found out is a pricey battery to replace. Do any other members have experience buying and using this battery?? Is the "dry" sealed  battery a big plus for an antique auto?? Any opinions would be appreciated!! Thanks! 

10 minutes ago, 41WindsorHighlander said:

Hi, I am new to the club, and recently acquired a 41 Chrysler Windsor Highlander. The battery is dead, although it looks like new. It is a Willard 6 volt that I have found out is a pricey battery to replace. Do any other members have experience buying and using this battery?? Is the "dry" sealed  battery a big plus for an antique auto?? Any opinions would be appreciated!! Thanks! 

optima 6 volt good cranking power 

• Like 2

I have used OPTIMA in several of our cars.

On the other hand, your current Willard may may be able to be rejuvenated. A 2-Amp Slow Charge over an extended period - maybe even several days just could wake it up. There are also options for desulfating the plates in it, and fresh sulfuric acid isn't totally out of the question either.

And a big Thank You to @Frank DuVal for catching my typo (or brain jumping a gear?)

Edited by Marty Roth
additional note and correction (see edit history)
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Marty Roth said:

A 2-AMP Slow Charge over an extended period - maybe even several days just could wake it up.

There, Marty, IFIFY (I fixed it for you).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Nothing special about the Willard name, unless it is needed for OEM style in AACA judging. A Tractor Supply 6 volt battery is just fine. Optima is top of the line.

• Like 5

I'll add that whatever 6V battery you choose, make sure your battery cables and ground connections are in good condition. There are terminal cleaning tools and a wire brush will clean up your ground strap connections. I believe your car is positive ground; others will correct if that's not the case.

Don't be surprised if, sometime over the last 80 years, someone has put light gauge 12V battery cables on your Highlander. 0 or 2/0 cabling will go a long way toward making your Chrysler start as it should.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

Some retailers allow a 6 Volt battery to sit on a shelf far too long due to low volume sales.

Check for the date of manufacture.

I had a store try to sell me one which was already almost four (4) years old-

and the guy said "But you still have the 1 year warranty".

It would likely have become useless far sooner than a fresh one of recent manufacture.

• Like 4

A good place to  buy a fresh 6v is a store catering to those with vintage tractors. Generally, Tractor Supply, independent auto parts stores, NAPA, are safe picks. I'd avoid AutoZone and others of that ilk. Of course, none of them will have the coolness factor of your Willard!

• Like 1