Question - Installing a Supercharger

Xtian Ruiz

The short answer is yes, a later model supercharger can be added, I just am finishing mine now, however, the easiest way to purchase all the stuff you will need, is to buy a complete s/c engine. Then of course you will have to decide which of the two engines to freshen up, if needed, so you may be better off with a complete s/c engine transplant, which is somewhat beefier internally.

Yes, you can turbocharge the existing engine, but no kits exist to do so, so essentially everything will need to be custom made. That is absolutely doable if you enjoy fabrication and experimentation, but for the closest thing to plug and play, the supercharged is the one.

4 hours ago, 2seater said:

The short answer is yes, a later model supercharger can be added, I just am finishing mine now, however, the easiest way to purchase all the stuff you will need, is to buy a complete s/c engine. Then of course you will have to decide which of the two engines to freshen up, if needed, so you may be better off with a complete s/c engine transplant, which is somewhat beefier internally.

Yes, you can turbocharge the existing engine, but no kits exist to do so, so essentially everything will need to be custom made. That is absolutely doable if you enjoy fabrication and experimentation, but for the closest thing to plug and play, the supercharged is the one.

Is there a noticeable difference in power with a sc3800?

6 hours ago, Xtian Ruiz said:

Is there a noticeable difference in power with a sc3800?

I don't have personal knowledge yet as I am just finishing the installation. I am sure it is more powerful than it was in N/A form.

6 hours ago, Xtian Ruiz said:

Also could I install just a universal turbo?

Sure, but I am not sure what that is. The turbocharger itself isn't the problem, they are available in all shapes and sizes, new and used, but it must connect to the exhaust both in and out, and that is what needs to be fabricated. Even the easier items like oil feed and drain or air in and out from the compressor are not available in kit form. I did hear about a self contained oiling system turbocharger but know nothing beyond that.

Installing the pump (turbo or S/C) is only the first problem.  Tuning the engine fuel and spark advance curves so that it produces optimal power without destroying itself is the second problem.  This is where you'll need the expertise of someone with a chassis dyno and knowledge of electronic engine management tuning.  As 2seater said previously, the 'simplest' answer to this complex problem is to get a complete donor car with a good S/C 3800 and transmission (e.g., Riviera or Park Ave).  Then you'll have to figure out how to transfer all of the drive train mechanicals into your Reatta (the 'easy' part).  Next, you'll have to modify your car's engine harness using the one from the donor car in order to add the missing sensors and controls.  Lastly, you'll need to figure out how to adapt the donor ECM to the Reatta by either a complete swap (not likely), PROM change (maybe?)  or finding someone able to either reprogram the original to use the donor fuel/spark maps or modify the donor ECM to function in the Reatta.

I hope you have a second, 'daily driver' while you're working on this project.  Oh, and where I live (NY) the car would need to satisfy the state's annual OBD2 plug-in emission check in order to be registered and driven on public roads...

• Like 1

Yes there is a noticeable difference in performance (if properly installed) 

I have owned 2  Regal GS and that little engine thinks it is a V8

Buying a complete engine and transmission is a good idea..... if you add more power, the next step will be replacing the transmission that will probably fail. 

Getting the transmission designed to work with the SC engine saves headaches down the road.  

If you could find a complete car that came with that engine and transmission that would be an excellent way to start.

Find a wrecked or rusted donor car.... Buick Park Avenue Ultra, late Riviera,  Regal GS, also there were some Pontiacs, Olds and even Chevy that used the SC engine. 

• Like 1