removing 1963 Electra side moldings ?

Electra63

Anyone know how to access the speed nuts in order to remove the front fender moldings on 63 era Electra? 

I'm hoping I can do it without having to remove the entire fender....

Perhaps there's a way to remove the wheel arch in the wheel well instead?

1656886419081488431114692160709.jpg

Edited by Electra63 (see edit history)

You should be able to access the speed nuts by dropping the fender liner out of the way. You may get lucky and nothing's attached to it that would complicate that.

Worst comes to worst, put a couple layers of masking tape next to the ventiport, then use a heavy and sharp putty knife to slide behind it and shear off the potmetal studs. Then use 3M molding attaching tape to put them back. Not the preferred way, but you may find that after 59 years the studs might wring off anyway.

Looking at the size of those castings, I wouldn't be surprised if they have steel studs embedded in the pot metal. So trying to snap them off might result in damage not only to the casting, but to the surrounding sheet metal. I would pull the fender liners and take a look. Even if you don't completely remove them you could see what you are dealing with. You could cut the retaining nuts with a Dremel if necessary. 

Thanks.  I see a series of bolts (yellow arrow) that seem to attach the liner to the fender but the liner seems to be welded to another piece (blue arrow) that forms the lining of the engine bay.

I don't see a way to remove just the liner unless there is one huge piece that covers the entire wheel well. 

Does this make sense or am I missing something.  The factory body manual doesn't seem to help on this ...

20220703_174805.jpg

2 hours ago, 61polara said:

The inner fender is massive on these cars and I believe the fender has to be removed before you can remove the inner finder.  Pulling the finder is your best choice.

Thanks 61polara.  I had a feeling that would be the case.  Sigh. I'll sleep in it and revisit the whole thing again tomorrow.  I think it just became a larger project than I'd hoped but I need to do some touch-up work so hey - might as well kill two birds with one stone...

I have removed the "ornaments" (4 of them on front fenders) on a 1962 Electra, and I would think would be similar to a 1963 Electra, If memory is working correctly, I was able to remove 3 of them by just reaching through a opening (front or rear not sure of which, where of inner fender meets outer fender center area) from under hood reaching my arm through the opening, not very easy, but I did get 3 of them off, using a 1/4" drive ratchet and I think 3/8" size socket, not sure on socket size, there is also a  retainer ( it comes loose after nut removed) on each to secure it to fender, I did not get the 4th one off a my arms were to large in diameter, I was panning on removing the inner fender panel, but never got around to it.  I am going to a Buick Club Car meet and show today and if there is a 1961 thru 1964 Electra at show I will investigate this and reply back.

Bob

EDIT: No 1961 thru 1964 Electra's at the car show today, sorry.

Edited by NailheadBob
update (see edit history)
  • Like 2

7 hours ago, NailheadBob said:

I have removed the "ornaments" (4 of them on front fenders) on a 1962 Electra, and I would think would be similar to a 1963 Electra, If memory is working correctly, I was able to remove 3 of them by just reaching through a opening (front or rear not sure of which, where of inner fender meets outer fender center area) from under hood reaching my arm through the opening, not very easy, but I did get 3 of them off, using a 1/4" drive ratchet and I think 3/8" size socket, not sure on socket size, there is also a  retainer ( it comes loose after nut removed) on each to secure it to fender, I did not get the 4th one off a my arms were to large in diameter, I was panning on removing the inner fender panel, but never got around to it.  I am going to a Buick Club Car meet and show today and if there is a 1961 thru 1964 Electra at show I will investigate this and reply back.

Bob

Thanks Bob for your support!  Enjoy the meet!

After some detailed examination I decided that taking the fender off was the only way to access them all.   As you said 2 or 3 can be accessed on the passenger side by reaching in. But on the driver's side there is additional equipment in the way including the vacuum reservoir for the power brakes.  

Anyway after figuring it all out I was able to remove the right fender without taking off the bumper.  

You do have to remove the light as it's bolted to the front of the fender. 

There are also 2 bolts at the bottom front of the fender that connect to the bumper.   Those were tricky as the access was tight and also offset from the bolt heads.  Using a double wobble extension I was able to remove them.  That was the hardest part.  

It's off now.  See photo.  Wasn't too painful in the end 

20220704_120722.jpg

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

With the fenders off and the 'ornaments' or moldings or whatever they are removed and at the chrome shop I'm taking the time to fix some rust spots on the fenders including the area just behind the wheels where it has pretty much rusted through.

I don't have a welder and even if I did I wouldn't trust my welding skills but I found a YouTube of a repair shop using JB Weld to fix a steel patch over cleaned up rust holes.  So far that's working quite well for me and the repairs came out very solid. 

Suits my objective of owning a relatively low budget but nice tidy vehicle to drive to local shows and occasionally to the office etc. 

So now I'm learning patience to get the fender repairs as clean as possible including prime and spray of the area with touch up paint.

I'm looking forward to getting the ornaments back from the chrome shop in a week or so from now. Then the fenders can go back on 

Oh...and the antenna trim cleaned up nicely even though the mast itself is not in great shape. 

I'm hoping to get an after market mast that I can adapt to fit through the trim piece and modify the tube that supported the old one to hold the after market unit. 

If anyone has experience of doing something similar please let me know. Thanks 

1658080355316443918905510964144.jpg

Those style masts were used on many GM cars of that timeframe. The difference was the fender escutcheon.

See if someone down in Buickland has a parts book that can give you the 63 Buick B&C car antenna part number and go searching. I think it will work better than trying to find and fit an aftermarket unit into the escutcheon and tube.

Or a little 0000 steel wool and some polishing compound might clean up your existing mast. Clean antenna usually equals clean reception!

as rocketraider stated try to avoid aftermarket antenna, Buick antenna # is 1364440 fits 1963 and 1964 44-46-4800 series cars, also try James Kehr at bestoffercounts:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/232770558060?fits=Year%3A1963|Model%3AElectra|Make%3ABuick&hash=item363234d86c:g:uR4AAOSwcSJa-7zA

and image.png.44bc98b5efe3b2e5f6c93a41b558ec51.png

Bob

17 hours ago, rocketraider said:

Or a little 0000 steel wool and some polishing compound might clean up your existing mast.

This ^^^   If yours isn't bent it should clean-up and work fine.

Thanks EmTee.  It looks like the bottom copper section was soldered onto the connector on the outside of the cover tube that sits under the fender and it came apart.  

Am I understanding it right that the connector should be soldered onto the bottom section of the mast ?

Hope my explanation is clear 

On 7/18/2022 at 6:24 PM, EmTee said:

If I understand the question, yes.  Pictures are helpful.  ;)

yes it wasnt very clear.

If I take the previous photo I posted, the interior part of the connector in the blue circle seemed to be soldered to the mast (you can see the solder in the area circled in red)

I'm not sure if that connection is meant to be made just by the pressure of the mast placed against the connector or if the two should be soldered together (inside the grey outer tube)

Hope this is clearer

updat.jpg

Yes, I believe the center conductor of the coaxial cable should be connected to the antenna mast.  The mast should be isolated electrically from the mounting hardware, which the shield is attached to.  Was there a coaxial connector there, or was the center conductor soldered to the spot that you circled?

there was a coax cable screwed to the connector.   I disconnected it before removing the fender.

It looks like the center conductor where the coax was screwed on may have been soldered to that spot on the mast

You can clearly see the center conductor in this photo

2.jpg

Ah - yes, that picture makes sense.  Solder the center pin to the copper sleeve (clean it up with some steel wool or wire brush).  You'll probably need to remove the connector so that you can reach through the opening to solder the wire.  If you're lucky you should be able to push the wire into the existing solder with the iron and hold it until the solder melts and then remove the iron.  May need to add some new solder if the wire isn't firmly stuck.  Clean the area where the connector attaches to the housing.  The coax shield will ground through the threaded portion of the connector body.

• 1 month later...

For those who were anxious about removing the fenders 🙂

I just refitted them with the help of my youngest son. I had the ornaments rechromed and took care of all the dings and rust spots and added some new clear coat.  Next will be the hood which has some rust spots a couple of which have eaten all the way through. Then I'll work my way back on the car finishing with the trunk and rear fenders 

16616414877723369867617207793648.jpg

• Like 3

👍