Rear Strut Question - Buick Reatta

Xtian Ruiz

Ronnie   you have probably noticed that few people on the forum actually work on their cars.   They come here to get information and share pictures of their cars.   I tend to think I am pretty handy but from what I have seen,  modifying a original strut to take a cartridge and doing

a semi-professional job will take some skills.   Somewhere I saw a picture of a piece of plumbing pipe welded to the top and a plumbing cap screwed on........that is not my idea of an acceptable rework.  I watched to Koni cut a strut video and that appears to be a very clean

conversion.    has anyone gone as far as verifying that Koni has an insert that will fit our strut and what do they cost?

Bottom line,  it would be nice to hear or see your rework and what you suggest using.

Sharing ideas on how to resolve this rear strut issue is something we should continue to do.

1989,  you do not need to announce you are leaving.... hang around you are always welcome.  

20 minutes ago, Barney Eaton said:

Ronnie   you have probably noticed that few people on the forum actually work on their cars.   They come here to get information and share pictures of their cars.   I tend to think I am pretty handy but from what I have seen,  modifying a original strut to take a cartridge and doing

a semi-professional job will take some skills.   Somewhere I saw a picture of a piece of plumbing pipe welded to the top and a plumbing cap screwed on........that is not my idea of an acceptable rework.  I watched to Koni cut a strut video and that appears to be a very clean

conversion.    has anyone gone as far as verifying that Koni has an insert that will fit our strut and what do they cost?

Bottom line,  it would be nice to hear or see your rework and what you suggest using.

Sharing ideas on how to resolve this rear strut issue is something we should continue to do.

1989,  you do not need to announce you are leaving.... hang around you are always welcome.  

Nope thank you I'm done!!! Yes first  attempt to drive the car was not professional and I admit it... The second attempt was very professional and mimic Koni and my contacting them was the first out of any posting from the forums..... I was willing to share but I think I will be that guy who shuts down. I wish you good luck...

1989  sorry if I was rather negative about the solution using pipe fittings.  If you are leaving,  please give us something  to remember you by..... what is the inside diameter of the stock Reatta strut?  What Koni part number was recommended by them for this application?

Ronnie can put the information on his site and give you credit.  

On 8/26/2022 at 9:35 AM, Barney Eaton said:

1989  sorry if I was rather negative about the solution using pipe fittings.  If you are leaving,  please give us something  to remember you by..... what is the inside diameter of the stock Reatta strut?  What Koni part number was recommended by them for this application?

Ronnie can put the information on his site and give you credit.  

i have a dead 1989 strut i can ship you...

• 1 month later...

I am again confused........ what are you trying to say since my name is involved.... it depends on where you pause.

I really think you Barney........... are real smartass 

I really think you............ Barney are real smartass

either way I will take it as a compliment. 

I would prefer to concentrate on solving this rear strut issue.   Although I am retired and should have lots of time,  I have family issues that come before Reatta problems. 

My wife is in assisted living......... in Dallas,  185 miles from where I live.   At 83 I commute every 2-3 weeks between home and Dallas.   In my spare time I try to help people keep their

Reattas on the road.    I will try to help as long as I can....... smartass or not. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

• 5 months later...

Hi everyone, 

the rear struts situation for Reattas and Allantes causes a big headache. The cars are junk if the rear struts are broken. 

I have contacted two shops in Europe, one in Austria and one in Germany if they can repair, or remanufacture or offer a custom alternative for the rear struts that is safe for use. Maybe even with a TÜV certificate. 

The shop in Germany is Kontakt - AKV-SUSPENSION . 

I will keep you posted!

Cheers