Rear Strut Question - Buick Reatta

Would it be possible to just remove the shock and put a new shock in and move the mounting bracket things onto the new strut?

Or if anyone has a recommendation for a rear strut that would fit my 1989 Buick Reatta that’d be appreciated 

There is alot of us looking for solutions, there is alot of informationon previously posts to lack of parts... Don't get discouraged!!

Not familiar with the details, but I have a decent machine shop (don’t weld) and would offer help from that side when someone figures out what’s required. 
karl

• Like 2

I thought a strut was a shock inside of a spring. As a Mazda technician I replaced “the shock” part of a strut many times.  Reinstalled the assembly then usually did a 4 wheel alignment.   Am I missing something?   

1 hour ago, B Jake Moran said:

I thought a strut was a shock inside of a spring. As a Mazda technician I replaced “the shock” part of a strut many times.  Reinstalled the assembly then usually did a 4 wheel alignment.   Am I missing something?   

reattas have a rear transverse 'leaf' spring.

The strut on the rear functions as a shock, but it also keeps the rear wheel/tire in vertical alignment (camber) in much the same way the front strut does. For that reason it's built a lot more heavy duty than most shocks are.

• Thanks 1

Has anyone contacted Monroe with all of the cars (mostly high end GM E and V bodies)) that used either the -66 or the -01 (same design with air lift) ?

On 7/2/2022 at 3:47 PM, padgett said:

Is someone looking at replacing the cartridge. Does take some machining.

This is similar to what I was talking abt. Idk if it’s possible but from what Ronnie said abt it needing to be heavy duty would it be possible we use truck cartridges and move the mount pieces onto that? (I know very little abt this stuff lol)

2 hours ago, padgett said:

Has anyone contacted Monroe with all of the cars (mostly high end GM E and V bodies)) that used either the -66 or the -01 (same design with air lift) ?

i think if someone contacted monroe or other supplier willing to buy multible struts they may agree.the only one that would benefit from this is marck since he already has a network to sell them at a profit.

23 minutes ago, handmedownreatta said:

i think if someone contacted monroe or other supplier willing to buy multible struts they may agree.the only one that would benefit from this is marck since he already has a network to sell them at a profit.

Who’s marck?

On 7/3/2022 at 10:52 AM, handmedownreatta said:

should we be saving our old ones as cores?

Yes most definitely!! Please when you replace don't throw away!!

On 7/4/2022 at 3:37 PM, Xtian Ruiz said:

Who’s marck?

He has helped me and I hold him I high regard.  I made a homemade looking rear strut that works great, in the next couple of week I will post a more professional looking strut with part numbers.  Please don't get discouraged!!! Join all reatta forms there is information out there. 20220504_204305.jpg.ef83a86535a7e3f6d8ad168dd0d55608.jpg

On 7/4/2022 at 3:13 PM, handmedownreatta said:

I got my email from monroe in April saying no longer making, so I contacted Koni that was receptive. I wished I love the Reatta as much as Marck does. I'm a believer in my teenager that loves hers!! So no not making a profit, just calling it as I see it. Not a business but for love of a child!!!

Screenshot_20220523-153912_Gmail.jpg

Edited by Guest
By the way (see edit history)

4 hours ago, handmedownreatta said:

theres somebody on facebook attempting to swap in a nineties whole rear eldorado suspension with coil springs.if it works that will be a good way to lower the car.

Yah, I saw that too. Interesting idea I had never considered. I am watching that one too😎

This is what you can do with old struts. Alittle machine work and you have replaceable struts.🙂

20220721_184910.jpg

20220721_184953.jpg

20220721_185928.jpg

On 7/21/2022 at 8:02 PM, 1989 said:

This is what you can do with old struts. Alittle machine work and you have replaceable struts.🙂

20220721_184910.jpg

20220721_184953.jpg

20220721_185928.jpg

End of the day there isn't a cheap way to replacement of struts if you don't have some mechanical skills  but not impossible.. Don't get discouraged and try!!! 

This was posted  Aug 11 2003 by a "guest" 

Here's what the NAPA/Monroe Shock and Struts Catalog has to say about the Sensa-Trac struts:

Riviera: 1986-89 71800 F 71801 R

1990-91 71854 F 71801 R

Reatta: 1988 71800 F 71966 R

1989-91 71854 F 71966 R

F is Front R is Rear

For wondering minds, the oddball 1988 Reatta front strut is Type B2, 10-3/4" body length, 17-3/4" extended lengh.

The later Reatta front strut is Type B5, 14" body length, 17-7/8" extended length.

The B2 looks like it has a larger spring seat than the B5.

The Riviera has totally different rear struts due to the Riviera using rear air struts.

The 71800, 71801 is also used on Allante, Eldorado, Seville, and Toronado.

The 71966 is also used on the Allante.

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, ArcticWhite88 said:

What other specific GM vehicles used the same rear shocks as the Reatta? 

Went by stroke length and insert that would still fit inside old strut body. By using old strut housing as a base you can install strut cartridges. I used Monroe catalog to see what might fit the dimensions of old strut. There is a video on YouTube from Koni "cut a strut"  and loosely used as a reference. I posted all technical information on other forum.

Edited by Guest
Clarify (see edit history)

• 3 weeks later...

Does anyone have a rear strut off their car that could be measured?

I'm thinking that the Reatta (and others) have a rear leaf spring.... there may be other GM rear struts (that have a coil spring) that might be the same or close 

dimensionally.    If we could find a fit,  the lower spring perch could be cut off and we might have a usable replacement.    When the weather cools down

I am willing to go to the pick-n-pull and compare measurements......... 

2 hours ago, Barney Eaton said:

Does anyone have a rear strut off their car that could be measured?

I'm thinking that the Reatta (and others) have a rear leaf spring.... there may be other GM rear struts (that have a coil spring) that might be the same or close 

dimensionally.    If we could find a fit,  the lower spring perch could be cut off and we might have a usable replacement.    When the weather cools down

I am willing to go to the pick-n-pull and compare measurements......... 

theres somebody on facebook attempting to swap in a nineties whole rear eldorado suspension with coil springs.if it works that will be a good way to lower the car

2 hours ago, Barney Eaton said:

I'm thinking that the Reatta (and others) have a rear leaf spring.... there may be other GM rear struts (that have a coil spring) that might be the same or close dimensionally.    If we could find a fit,  the lower spring perch could be cut off and we might have a usable replacement.   

I don't want to discourage what you are talking about doing, but if a strut with a coil spring was found with the right dimensions, I don't see how it could fit into the strut tower on the Reatta without a lot of modification. I just don't see room for the spring to fit in the available space. Even the dust cover over the strut doesn't have a lot of room to spare inside the shock tower.

SAM_1041.JPG

Just  note but when seriously autocrossing my Sunbird, one of the things I broke were the shock mounts, from the factory they are not very strong and would gusset before going to coil overs.

On 8/19/2022 at 9:31 PM, Ronnie said:

I don't want to discourage what you are talking about doing, but if a strut with a coil spring was found with the right dimensions, I don't see how it could fit into the strut tower on the Reatta without a lot of modification. I just don't see room for the spring to fit in the available space. Even the dust cover over the strut doesn't have a lot of room to spare inside the shock tower.

SAM_1041.JPG

I think you can build your own coil overs using 2.5 inches coils, but like what has been stated no real strength for sub frame.. I really think this would be dangerous...

My question to forum why you wouldn't rebuilt original struts??  Yes if you can't do machine work there is local machinist that is willing to help??  Don't understand why we as a group making a big deal???

6 minutes ago, 1989 said:

My question to forum why you wouldn't rebuilt original struts??  Yes if you can't do machine work there is local machinist that is willing to help??  Don't understand why we as a group making a big deal???

I have tutorials on my website about repairing Reattas. Write one up for rebuilding the rear struts, with part numbers for the parts needed, and instructions with dimensions a machinist can follow for doing the machine work, and I will post it on Reatta Owners Journal. Then everyone will know in detail what needs to be done to rebuild the rear struts.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Ronnie said:

I have tutorials on my website about repairing Reattas. Write one up for rebuilding the rear struts, with part numbers for the parts needed, and instructions with dimensions a machinist can follow for doing the machine work, and I will post it on Reatta Owners Journal. Then everyone will know in detail what needs to be done to rebuild the rear struts.

I'm sorry Ronnie I'm not good with modern tech.ie video.  I gave pics of dimensions.  I'm sorry I wish I could support making them for everyone!! But if you break it down it isn't that terrible to do!!! If I was selfish I would say it's difficult.. but I'm not that person..you have helped every one in this Forum, I'm just trying to give a realistic perspective to this...

Edited by Guest (see edit history)

It doesn't need to be a video, just a write-up of what parts are required and what machine work needs to be done to install them. I've tried to read through all the posts and looked at the photos but I'm not able to figure out for sure how you did it and what parts you used. Sorry that I don't understand. Maybe I just can't see the forest for the trees.

Pm me tomorrow  if you can I will give you all the information and pictures I took. I sorry I haven't Communicated all the information everyone needs... I really don't think this should stress anyone out!!

I'll send a PM tomorrow afternoon. I'm not stressed because I have new struts all around on my Reatta. I just like to do what I can to help other Reatta owners.  I think we do need too keep looking for a bolt-on replacement, but so far you have came up with the only workable solution. Thanks for your help.

I just want people to enjoy there cars!!! And not push the limits of something that shouldn't.. not a engineer but someone very safety conscious..

After giving this more thought, I have decided there just isn't enough interest in rebuilding the rear struts to warrant writing a how-to guide on rebuilding them. It does require some machining and welding, and since I'm a machinist it peaked my interest, but I see no indication from the reaction here on the forum that it is something most people are interested in. Maybe someone will come up with a simple bolt-on solution that will work as replacements for the rear struts that have been discontinued. 

Thanks 1989 for your offer to give me the info you have to help me write the guide.

I have enjoyed daydreaming with all the forums, but I really think It's time to leave the reatta forum and like wanted to say thank you to all.