1947 Chrysler T&C trunk support springs

I assume that finding new springs for the trunk support shouldn't be too difficult, but I was wondering if anyone had any recommendations for such. I also wonder if I took old springs to a spring shop, would they be able to do anything with them? They are coil springs, about 1-1/4 in diameter.... roughly 2 feet long.

What has anyone done, other than to add a bunch of washers to the bottom of the tube? There's already about a six-inch pipe at the bottom, so I think I'd just like to restore the situation as opposed to putting another band-aid in place.

Hi West,

What is wrong with your springs? Are they worn out, broken...?

Finding "originals" would likely be impossible but....

I would think that if you know the correct length of the original springs you could probably have them made or buy them somewhere.

One other thing to consider is the proper spring for the proper tension.

If you add washers that would shorten the spring and probably increase the tension.

I was fortunate to have the springs for my T & C when I bought it. I just had to install them - which was a bit of a chore doing it alone.

Joe

Thanks for the reply, Joe. I have the original springs (I think they are original, anyway). They just do not hold the trunk lid up very high. Someone has already put in a 7-inch pipe spacer (instead of a pile of washers.

I just ordered a pair of compression springs from McMaster-Carr. 30 inches, so I'll probably have to cut them down to desired size. Hopefully the spring rate is strong enough between the two of them to hold up the lid.

You're right in regard to difficulty in replacing. I've been told it's probably best to have three people working on it when putting back together.

West, Greg here from The Old Chrysler Garage. Contact  Dennis Bickford in Arizona. He was recommended to me when I bought my T & C convert. I haven't called him yet, but I know he has a good reputation amongst  the Chrysler people. 

2 hours ago, 24Chry48 said:

West, Greg here from The Old Chrysler Garage. Contact  Dennis Bickford in Arizona. He was recommended to me when I bought my T & C convert. I haven't called him yet, but I know he has a good reputation amongst  the Chrysler people. 

Dang it!!!  I should've thought of him, too. He may have the springs.

• 3 months later...

I installed the hatchback lift supports in my sedan, and they work great. The Stabilus 4B-8503IQ is correct for convertibles, but I found that the sedan trunk opening needs an extra 2 inches of lift. I used the 4B-8503IQ for my sedan, but first installed a 2-inch spacer. I'm a big fan of this solution so far. I will report back if it seems the lifespan is too short. From what I've heard from several people, the reproductions springs that were being marketed to T&C owners didn't work even as well as the worn out original springs.