Baldor buffer

just me

Gentlemen

While buffing the brass running board trim for our Buick the Baldor buffer expired. It was a 1800 rpm, 3/4 hp, single phase motor. These are recommended for 8" wheels.

Looked online for a replacement and located a few 3600 rpm Baldor buffers. I mostly buff brass and copper. 

Would one be a better choice than the other?

Thanks

Charley

PXL_20220627_201546593.jpg

If you have an electric motor shop nearby, have them refurb it. May be something as simple as brushes, and bearings are easily found.

If you go to the 3600 rpm motor, you'll have to adjust your buffing technique. 3600 is apt to "burn-thru" soft metals like brass and copper quicker, not to mention it will really take a piece out of your hands and sling it across the room.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, rocketraider said:

If you have an electric motor shop nearby,

Sadly those seem to be going the way of radiator shops. The electric motor shop nearest to me (in Frederick, MD) is now gone.

20 hours ago, rocketraider said:

to mention it will really take a piece out of your hands and sling it across the room.

Slicing your hands/fingers as it slings....BTDT😲

Did the magic smoke come out?

• Haha 1

They make or made a 2 speed buffer (Baldor).  That's what I bought,  though honestly I have only used the slow speed once or twice as I found stuff that I needed to buff at the slow speed carefully,  was easier to hand buff.  

The personal injury isn't as bad as what you do to the irreplacable piece you just destroyed when it wrapped itself up or shot across the room/ parking lot and is now full of dents and dings as well as being twisted and warped.