Dodge B1B 1949 Power Steering Conversion

MerakiFade

Hi

I have a 1949 Dodge B1B Pick up in the UK. I'm currently in Arizona for holiday and hoping to buy some parts such as a power steering conversion kit. Can anyone let me know which would fit and where to order it from? I'm here for 9 days so hope to get my ordering done ASAP. 

Many thanks

car.jpg

• Like 1

Would have been best to do some research before you left UK

Original engine - drive line?

This web site--->https://forums.aaca.org/forum/43-dodge-trucks/

https://www.fortrucksonly.com/truckforum/forums/classic-dodge-trucks-pre-1981.15/

Edit

A good source of info

http://dodgepilothouseclub.org/welcome/welcome.htm

Edited by 1939_Buick (see edit history)
  • Like 1

I'm going to suggest the same thing I would to the owner of any car from pre power steering times. Have given the same advice before and those who followed it, lost all desire for power steering. It's easier and cheaper too.

First go over the front axle and steering and replace worn parts. Adjust steering box according to the service manual. Since you have leaf springs it would be a good idea to take them apart, clean and polish them and reassemble with new sliders. If you do not carry heavy loads you can take out a few leaves to soften the ride. Complete the job with a new set of shock absorbers front and rear.

Now get a front end alignment and balance the tires. Pump up the tires to 32PSI. Your steering should be easy except when at a dead stop, but get moving the least bit and it lightens up. For even lighter steering you can reduce the caster but if you do, add a steering damper to control shimmy.

They were not hard to steer new and will not be hard to steer now, if everything is set up right.

• Like 2

I don't believe there is a bolt in PS conversion. The usual thing is to cut out the original axle and weld in a newer front suspension. In your case an older Jaguar might be suitable, they are a good strong suspension and the crossmember unbolts from the chassis. I do NOT recommend this I recommend rebuilding and aligning the original suspension but it has been done.

• Like 1

And the Gemmer steering box needs to be full of lube and not worn out.

Meaning ..

Rough/lumpy to turn or lots of loose free play in the steering wheel probably means steering box worm and sector gears are damaged especially if low fluid in steering gear box.

Gear box can be adjusted too...if you do it do it right.

• Thanks 1

It also appears that you have wider than original size tires that are also radial tires.  This greatly increases the steering effort at slow speeds.  The correct size bias ply tire will make steering much lighter.

• Like 1

On 6/28/2022 at 2:54 AM, 1939_Buick said:

Would have been best to do some research before you left UK

Original engine - drive line?

Interesting assumption above, very assuming. Thanks for the links below though 

On 6/28/2022 at 2:54 AM, 1939_Buick said:

On 6/28/2022 at 3:29 AM, Rusty_OToole said:

I'm going to suggest the same thing I would to the owner of any car from pre power steering times. Have given the same advice before and those who followed it, lost all desire for power steering. It's easier and cheaper too.

First go over the front axle and steering and replace worn parts. Adjust steering box according to the service manual. Since you have leaf springs it would be a good idea to take them apart, clean and polish them and reassemble with new sliders. If you do not carry heavy loads you can take out a few leaves to soften the ride. Complete the job with a new set of shock absorbers front and rear.

Now get a front end alignment and balance the tires. Pump up the tires to 32PSI. Your steering should be easy except when at a dead stop, but get moving the least bit and it lightens up. For even lighter steering you can reduce the caster but if you do, add a steering damper to control shimmy.

They were not hard to steer new and will not be hard to steer now, if everything is set up right.

This is good advice although the roads in England are much different to America and I have replaced worn parts and shock absorbers. The surface, space and parking within the city of Brighton isn't like USA. Hence wanting power steering after 10 years of driving it already! 

On 6/28/2022 at 1:24 PM, roysboystoys said:

Research electric power assist. Mounts under dash , you have to splice it in your column.

This is what modern cars use.

Many kits out there.

I have been researching, I'm trying to find a supplier here for a 1949 vehicle. Most I've spoken to don't know which kit and where to purchase this for vehicles as old as this one. I'm looking for a contact number or website of a supplier who can help ideally 

16 hours ago, 61polara said:

It also appears that you have wider than original size tires that are also radial tires.  This greatly increases the steering effort at slow speeds.  The correct size bias ply tire will make steering much lighter.

Yes, I chose these specifically for when I convert to disk brakes!

On 6/28/2022 at 6:29 AM, c49er said:

And the Gemmer steering box needs to be full of lube and not worn out.

Meaning ..

Rough/lumpy to turn or lots of loose free play in the steering wheel probably means steering box worm and sector gears are damaged especially if low fluid in steering gear box.

Gear box can be adjusted too...if you do it do it right.

Thank you!

• Like 1

I put power steering in a couple of vehicles and it can be quite a job. a 1947 Chev, and a 59 GMC. I assume the 59 GM would be closest to the Dodge. I got a Saginaw box from a Dodge power wagon as the box needs reverse rotation to a normal GM. Then fabricated a mounting plate/adapter. You then have to figure the the pitman arm length / angle, and find or make everything fit.  Then there is the steering column. If you want the original you must make significant changes here. It's easier if you can use a modern one.  Then the pump and hose business.  As mentioned above I would look into the electric units. I think that would be a lot simpler. 

Unless you have significant fabrication abilities I would look for the simpler options. 

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, MerakiFade said:

This is good advice although the roads in England are much different to America and I have replaced worn parts and shock absorbers. The surface, space and parking within the city of Brighton isn't like USA. Hence wanting power steering after 10 years of driving it already! 

Suggest you pump up the tires to 32PSI and get a front end alignment. If that does not help, add a steering damper and reduce the caster to half the factory spec. This may cost a little money but not nearly as much as changing the steering. As I said before the usual thing is to change the whole front suspension. So far as I know there is no kit to add power steering and no easy way to do so. I am sure they offered power steering, if not in 1949, then some time before 1972 when they stopped using the solid front axle. But where you would find one especially in England, I could not say.

If all else fails the Jaguar front end could be installed by a good hot rod shop. It has the advantage of being self contained on a bolt in crossmember, and it uses the same wheel bolt pattern as Dodge. The important thing is to choose a front end the same width as the original. Or within an inch either way.

Edited by Rusty_OToole (see edit history)
  • Thanks 1