Early Dodge Brothers Hub and Hubcap

TexRiv_63

I have not hit Google yet, thought I would start here. I found this interesting 1/8" thick cast iron eight-hole wheel hub with a cast aluminum hubcap. The hub is 7 1/4" diameter and the cap screws on to a small threaded center. The PO identified it as being from a 1914 model but ???  I would like to know the year and model but mostly what was this actually used for? Is it actually a wheel mounting hub or is it for a spare wheel? Any help appreciated as always.

20220625_144341.jpg

20220625_144418.jpg

20220625_144439.jpg

20220625_144457.jpg

20220625_144527.jpg

20 hours ago, JayG said:

It is early Dodge Brothers. It’s the outside flange of the wheel center hub. The square hole indicates early floating rear axle.  

I hit Google and see now how it was used on the wooden wheel. Was the axle retained in the square hole? Was this type of hub only used on the rear wheels? would a time period of use be about 1914-18?

1 hour ago, TexRiv_63 said:

I hit Google and see now how it was used on the wooden wheel. Was the axle retained in the square hole? Was this type of hub only used on the rear wheels? would a time period of use be about 1914-18?

14-18 seems about right. At some point the rear hub changed and the cap on the rear became the same as the front, the cap you have is rear and early only. 

• Thanks 1

1914 to early 1922....I believe.  I also think the mid year change of 1922 was when the typical semi floating rear axle was starting to used, resulting in less axle troubles/failures.

Al

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Mark Gregush said:

Pretty sure those came in right and left hand thread. The cap also holds the pin that goes thru the hub plate and axel in place. 

Mine is right hand thread, does that mean it would only go on the right side of the car?

On 7/3/2022 at 1:20 PM, TexRiv_63 said:

Mine is right hand thread, does that mean it would only go on the right side of the car?

YMMV but usually the thread goes on the same side of the car, i.e., left hand thread on left side of car and right hand thread on right side.  The theory is the thread tightens in the same direction as the wheel's forward motion so the wheel torque doesn't loosen the thread.  MoPar and I think GM used left- and right-hand thread lug nuts until they figured out it was the solution to a problem that doesn't exist.

• Thanks 1

Looks like my unmolested 1918 Dodge they are all right hand thread the cap looks like it may be different as it looks like the lip before the threaded portion is not as  not as wide as mine but could be just the way the picture looks.  Mike

I have one with the lip also. The parts book show full thread no lip for the type of hub cap shown. 

I may be wrong about left and righthand thread on rear caps. I may have misread something. I think it was talking about when fitted with wire wheels. The 1914-27 parts book does not list left or right for rear driving disk for wood wheels. 

• 1 month later...