Bronze automobile adveretising paperweights

Paperweights - bronze automobile advertising paperweights are great items to collect, but nice originals are not easily found. There are some fakes around so I'll give you a few tips on how to avoid being "stung."

First up is the Packard radiator shaped paperweight.  The first photos are of an original in my collection.  Note the finish and detail is smooth and crisp.  The little "feet" on the back side are actually applied rather than cast.  These were made like coins-they were die-stamped rather than being fully cast. Reproductions are cast and don't have the level of detail the originals do.  Another clue to originality is the marking on the edge - Whitehead-Hoag, the company that produced the paperweight.  Although not all were marked, the majority of those that I've seen or have in my collection that are genuine will have that marking.  But-I'll show you some exceptions I've discovered.

I'm also including a photo of a fake Packard paperweight as offered on the internet.  The seller was asking over $100 for it.

Note the poor quality finish and lack of crisp detail.  This piece was obviously sand cast, perhaps using an original to make the poor quality mold from.  Even the little "feet" on back are cast rather than separately applied as the original.  Compared to an original, it's obvious it's not right.  There are no markings on the edge to indicate the manufacturer. 

Shown also is an often found Chalmers paperweight showing the factory.  Although the back side is blank, it too is nicely finished with applied feet.  It bears the edge marking "Whitehead-Hoag."  These are around, and are not expensive.  Again, fakes do exist but they just don't have the level of detail.  Of course the edge marking is missing from the fakes.

The wonderful Dort with enameling is a high quality piece that is not marked with the manufacturers name or logo.  It is also a die-stamped item with nice smooth finishing in the background and crisp image and lettering.  Again, the feet on the back are applied.  I believe it to be a correct original that was probably produced by Whitehead-Hoag but without markings.  I see these around but not in the quantity that would raise suspicion they were being mass produced as fakes.  The nice enameling is also a step that a fake is not likely to have.

Last up is this hard to find Paige paperweight.  It is a high-quality item but has no feet on the back (never did) and nothing is written on the back.  The Paige specific notation "The Most Beautiful Car in America" is across the bottom of the front rather than on the back.  There are no other markings on it, but again I expect it is an unmarked Whitehead-Hoag product.  The two-color enameling is of excellent quality and is a step in production I don't believe a fake would have. 

I've seen a Studebaker paperweight in another collection, but am not aware of any others.  If you have one, please post good photos including the back and any markings on the edge that might indicate the manufacturer.  I'm trying to compile a list of known originals and the maker.

Happy collecting,

Terry

Packard radiator shaped.jpg

Packard radiator shaped back side.jpg

Packard radiator shaped edge with makers mark.jpg

Packard paperweight genuine detail on feet.jpg

Packard paper weight cheap recast fsraud (front).jpg

Packard paper weight cheap recast fraud (reverse).jpg

Chalmers front.jpg

Chalmers edge.jpg

Dort fro;nt.jpg

Dort back.jpg

Paige front.jpg

Edited by Terry Bond (see edit history)
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 6/27/2022 at 12:31 PM, keiser31 said:

I have the Chalmers and Dort items. Very cool!

IMG_2084 (1).JPG

Excellent and super condition too. 

• Like 1

I spotted that. Too expensive right now. Will be watching to see if it gets down to earth.  If it was for a specific vehicle manufacturer it would be a bit more exciting to me. Northwy was a GM engine manufacturer. They supplied some engines for Oakland. 

Terry

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Terry Bond said:

I spotted that. Too expensive right now. Will be watching to see if it gets down to earth.  If it was for a specific vehicle manufacturer it would be a bit more exciting to me. Northwy was a GM engine manufacturer. They supplied some engines for Oakland. 

Terry

I was SO tempted, but for the same reasons, I will just watch.

On 6/29/2022 at 5:26 PM, Terry Bond said:

Terry

and Oldsmobile among others!

For the $ posted on that ebay item you could probably locate and perhaps purchase a semi complete but rusty and in need of restoration actual motor minus most of the bolt on pieces ( stater, carb . etc) You would be ahead of the game - have a much larger paper weight that could also double as a boat anchor. 🤩

• Haha 1