brake fluid

tony1970

Good day all,funny thing i just noticed that my brake fluid did not rise to full level in the resorivor the car has been sitting for 2 days,what would cause this.any imput would be helpful thanks tony

Hi Dave,when i pump the brakes 25 times with the key off the pedal becomes rock hard and the fluid rises to proper level it is after i drive it and park it for a day or two the fluid level never rises to the proper level,i recall that it use to.

5 hours ago, tony1970 said:

Hi Dave,when i pump the brakes 25 times with the key off the pedal becomes rock hard and the fluid rises to proper level it is after i drive it and park it for a day or two the fluid level never rises to the proper level,i recall that it use to.

If it holds the fluid in the accumulator for an extended period it will also do that. It is unusual to hold for that long is true. How much fluid drop do you get between fully pumped down and fully pressurized when the pump stops? A really good standard size accumulator is approx. 1/2" or a bit more. As it ages the fluid drop will increase as the nitrogen charge decreases. 

I think it is a accumalator problem. i am taking it to the shop on wednesday to check the brakes and have the abs checked.Idid take the accumlator test from reatta.net and it takes 2-3 pumps to turn on the brake lights . i think the accumalator is weak. i will wait to see what the shop says

That sounds logical if the lights are coming on. It will hold pressure longer as the precharge dwindles. The pump must run quite a bit then. Pump restart is at ~2000 psi but lights activation is down in the 1500-1700 psi range.

the statement that the level went up when the brakes were pumped indicated you are empting the accumulator.

as noted above.  the change in resevoir level is a good test for accumulator condition.

with a original accumulator, 3/8 inch change is about normal.  at 1/2 change or more you are going to need a new accumulator.

another test is a panic stop..... if you get a hard pedal and or the red brake light comes on you need accumulator.

Sometimes the pressure switch can be defective....usually causing the pump to not run to full pressure.  That can give similar symptoms 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all ,my freind had new delco accumulator in a  sealed package we installe it same problem no leakdown from accumulator it sat overnight fluid never rose to the full level checked pressure switch no moisture inside,what should now?

On 6/27/2022 at 1:07 PM, DAVES89 said:

If your brake pads are worn the might make the level low.

With the key off pump the brakes about 40 times [until the pedal gets hard] and then top off your fluid.

Forget the sitting overnight stuff.

Do as Dave recommended. Pump the brake pedal 40 times with the key OFF to relieve the pressure in the accumulator. When you do that the fluid level in the reservoir should be on the full mark. If not, put some brake fluid in the reservoir to bring it up to the full mark. IF the fluid is above the full mark take some fluid out. That is the correct way to fill the reservoir.

Then turn the key to the RUN position. You should see the fluid drop about 1/2" as the pump runs and fills the accumulator. Then the pump should cut off. If that happens your Teves pump is operating properly.

• Like 1

In a very good unit,  the reservoir level might not change overnight or even a couple of days.   The reason it might change is the precharge on the accumulator 

is trying to push the fluid out (back into the reservoir)  but if all the seals and check valves are good then it might not leak down.

The main this .......does it stop the car?   Also you should get no Red  BRAKE  light.   

Tell us what problem you are having. 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Usually a brake issue will also turn the yellow ABS light on. The parking brake can turn just the red light on.

BTW an internal M/C seal or a main valve problem can cause the pedal to go to the floor without any leaks showing. Is good to study section 5E in the service manual.

Edited by padgett (see edit history)