1928 chrysler 72

31 LaSalle

I have a 1928 Chrysler 72 which I purchased 90% restored from a deceased estate.

I have not had the car running yet. but because I have no history of the engine 

and as it has no oil filter it might be a good idea to drop the sump ( oil pan ) and clean it out

I have no experience with this type of engine and would appreciate any tips on this work

Is It straight forward or are there any problems to be aware of

thank you in anticipation of your help       (  oil pan gasket supplier ) ?

JOHN

Try olsens gaskets for an oil pan gasket, or you could probably cut one your self with a decent punch set for the bolt holes

any engine with an unknown history it’s good to check things over first, especially the oil pan.

have you verified the engine is turning freely?

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, hidden_hunter said:

Try olsens gaskets for an oil pan gasket, or you could probably cut one your self with a decent punch set for the bolt holes

any engine with an unknown history it’s good to check things over first, especially the oil pan.

have you verified the engine is turning freely?

thanks for the information engine turns over nice will do a compression test later 

when i get an adaptor for my compression tester 7/8 sae to 14mm

Chryslers seem to have quite a following in Australia

thank you

JOHN

The mid market brands were quite common here in Aus, you see far more Buicks and Chryslers for instance than you do Cadillacs for instance.

The American stuff stood the test of time and suit our roads a lot more than the lower/mid end euro stuff 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TimFX said:

Heres my 27 Red Head with the oil pan off. Be mindful of the oil strainer when removing. 

And yes, get the proper gaskets from Olson’s, its a 4 part gasket that is tricky to install correctly

9827CBA3-18D8-4F16-ACBB-12ECDE6A4FE5.jpeg

Thanks for the picture nice to see what I'm up against 

what's the tricky part of the installation is it keeping the gasket in place as you raise the pan up to the engine

any tips more than welcome

Thanks  John