how to tell if you have a low gas light

What would be the easiest way to see if your car has a low gas light on the dashboard? I'm not exactly daring enough to let the gas get down to the "E" because the gauges aren't all that accurate all the time. And if it doesnt' have a light I take the chance of running out of gas and being stranded. Just take the dash apart to see if it has a light or what?

I own an '89 LeSabre Limited coupe with the standard instrument cluster. The car has a speedometer and fuel gauge, with idiot lights for everything else. There is no low fuel light. Since the '88 is nearly identical to the '89, I would doubt that your car has a low gas light. There was, however, an optional instrument gauge package that replaced some of the idiot lights with round gauges. I do not know whether that optional cluster included a low fuel light.

I would think that any car sophisticated enough to have a "low fuel" light would have been wired such tha it comes on with the key before turning the starter on. You should be able to check for its existence and function the same way you'd check an alternator or oil pressure light.

Guest Shaffer

Not necessarily. I have owned 6 different Honda automibiles, and several Toyotas and Mazdas, all with low fuel lights, except the Mazda truck. The low fuel lights worked on all of these. The light did not come on when the ignition was turned on, or when the car started, except my moms 81 Cressida, which came on when cranking the car. American cars may be different. The 1971 Chevrolets ( i owned one) had a optional guage light package which included a seat belt light, low feul light and door open light. I seen this in the owners manual of the one that I had. Thats how I knew about it. They was there, but they did not work, because it was a option. The seat belt light became standard on all cars in 72 I think, because my 72 Electra and my grandfathers 72 Skylark has the light, but no fuel light on neither. Lincoln had a low fuel light in 1972 and Cadillac had the trunk open/low washer fluid light in 72. Best way to know of your car could even possibly have the lights is to look in your owners manual and see what it says. I would not take the dash apart, because you could break something. Or could possibly start a squeak or rattle. <BR>The best way I know is to check the owners manual.

depending on the year of the car you can disconnect the fuel sending unit wire and then see if your guage goes to full or empty if it goes to full ground the wire and it should go to empty and trigger a low fuel light if so equipped. The gas can idea is a whole lot less effort though.

I had an 81 Cadillac that had a low fuel jewel light located on the guage. You could see it all the time, but it only lit up when the fuel got low, not when cranking to start or any other time. Personally, I like to know how low the gas guage goes at empty just in case I ever get there. Take a can of gas with you and drive it to empty so you can see how low it goes. Or, if you chicken out before then, you can fill it up and see how many gallons it takes so you can see approximately how much was in the tank before the fillup.