Certainly the Road Warriors Are On Their Way or There! Where's the Thread?

B Jake Moran

I know it gets hot in Texas, but it seems like it is just as hot in the midwest.  Used to be June was still what I would call "mild" with "occasional" highs in the 80's but overall highs of 78 to 82 with that happening only at peak times.  

We had 90's in May.  I am sure Illinois did too.   Not wanting to be political at all, but maybe is time to consider a fall National Meet.  Hershey is in early October for a reason.  

Well too bad I will miss the posts from the road, from any direction.   

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, B Jake Moran said:

Well too bad I will miss the posts from the road, from any direction.   

Fortunately, there’s re-runs…..

• Haha 2

If we keep dancing around the (Political posts will not be tolerated…) eventually one of us is going to slip up and say something about how the (Political posts will not be tolerated…) and why the (Political posts will not be tolerated…) and then we will make a political post, which will not be tolerated.  Just sayin….

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 8

2 hours ago, KAD36 said:

If we keep dancing around the (Political posts will not be tolerated…) eventually one of us is going to slip up and say something about how the (Political posts will not be tolerated…) and why the (Political posts will not be tolerated…) and then we will make a political post, which will not be tolerated.  Just sayin….

I simply refuse to tolerate that;)

• Haha 4

I don’t even know what anyone is talking about.  It’s Saturday and it’s been crickets on the National show.   That’s too bad.  

I can’t afford the hobby, or better stated I can but my choice is to be out due to costs and I need to enjoy it vicariously through others.  

Did anybody go?  

8 minutes ago, NTX5467 said:

Wondered why I hadn't seen anything in the General Forum, where they had been posted in earlier times. 

Probably just the (Political posts will not be tolerated…)  :P

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

I made it there and back.   Daughter, son-in-law and I drove my Enclave to North of Indianapolis where they stayed to visit. 

Recruited my brother to go on to Chicago with me.   Gas in Arkansas and Tenn was $4,34 and up    Paid $5,14 in Indiana and Illinois was $5,50

coming back $4.08 In Little Rock.

There are other postings about the meet and everything went well,   Little glitches that did not affect everyone, the host hotel only served breakfast and

there was no restaurants within walking distance.   It started to lightly rain as we started judging and it finally forced us to stop for about 45 minutes. 

judging sheets were wet and hard to write on.  cars were wet and difficult to judge paint etc.   Some number of vehicles never got out of their trailers until 

Saturday morning and if you judged they were back in the trailer by the time we finished so if you judges you never got to view all the cars. 

I hope to make to Spokane but will fly.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

17 hours ago, Barney Eaton said:

I made it there and back.   Daughter, son-in-law and I drove my Enclave to North of Indianapolis where they stayed to visit. 

Recruited my brother to go on to Chicago with me.   Gas in Arkansas and Tenn was $4,34 and up    Paid $5,14 in Indiana and Illinois was $5,50

coming back $4.08 In Little Rock.

There are other postings about the meet and everything went well,   Little glitches that did not affect everyone, the host hotel only served breakfast and

there was no restaurants within walking distance.   It started to lightly rain as we started judging and it finally forced us to stop for about 45 minutes. 

judging sheets were wet and hard to write on.  cars were wet and difficult to judge paint etc.   Some number of vehicles never got out of their trailers until 

Saturday morning and if you judged they were back in the trailer by the time we finished so if you judges you never got to view all the cars. 

It is too bad that the weather is uncooperative at a show.  And it is almost comical that people feel their investment has to be protected and hidden away in the trailer, as if it might get damaged in the rain.  I think just about each of the dozen or so Nationals I've attended have had some rain over the week, if not going or coming home.   

• Like 1

Back when WJClinton was Pres, I was getting the local Mustang Club newsletter as a swap situation.  Some of their members went to their national meet, where Clinton's Mustang appeared.  In their high-level judging, if a part was OEM uncoated cast iron, that's how that item was judged.  Having taken special care to ensure that their respective cast iron items were uncoated, when it started to rain during judging, the car's owners/restorers got a bit anxious.  But then they realized that everybody's natural cast iron was going to rust just like their's was.  Anxiety level decreased a bit.

Glad y'all had a good time!

NTX5467

• Like 1

8 hours ago, old-tank said:

How do you think I got my first silver award?:P

This (I am sure of it) is how I ended up with a Silver for Piggy this year.  I bet there were many gold senior award given out that probably wouldn't have gotten them if it hadn't been pissing on us all morning as we judged the cars.  Once the rain went away, we were able to enjoy the rest of the day.  I was bummed to see so many vendors pack up on Friday and leave, though.

The banquet was fun, but went wayyyyyy late.  From what I understand, the wait staff was (wait for it...) understaffed.  And timing was on the slow side.  Melanie did a great job with heading up the themed portion....it was great to see so many folks dressed up in period outfits.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

On 6/29/2022 at 10:18 PM, Barney Eaton said:

…Some number of vehicles never got out of their trailers until 

This is what the BCA members voted for when the alternate group of candidates lost 4 years ago with a different philosophy.  The BCA wants its focus to be a judged car show with dozens of trailers brought in, overly restored trailer queens left in secured expensive trailers for 2-3 days, then brought out just long enough for a 400 point score and a largely plastic trophy the widow recycles a few years later.   

That is what you wanted.  That’s what you got. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

You would certainly hate the AACA shows then.  At Auburn, I didn't see hardly any cars until Saturday morning, and most of them were back nestled in their trailers by 3pm.  But the Buick section was full of cars Thursday-Saturday.

Edited by Smartin (see edit history)
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, dship said:

Jake, IMO I totally disagree with your assessment.

I’m just noting what Barney wrote and John D agreed.  I’m ok with the club being a trailer queen get my trophy club. Nothing wrong with that.  We presented a different vision and lost and this meet was the evidence of how it turned out. And the club wants that.  Plus the Bugle. 

That happens with every event!  You're going to have those cars that will only peek out for show day, and if the weather sucks, they're not coming at all.  But there is a PILE of other people like me, who will drive to a show in the snow.  I did not experience the "All I want is a trophy, and then I'm leaving" attitude from anyone.  I guess I'm not seeing what you're seeing here.

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, B Jake Moran said:

I’m just noting what Barney wrote and John D agreed.  I’m ok with the club being a trailer queen get my trophy club. Nothing wrong with that.  We presented a different vision and lost and this meet was the evidence of how it turned out. And the club wants that.  Plus the Bugle. 

I guess its been at least a year since this beat horse was dragged uphill again.  It is obvious that some people don't think there should be any judging and some people think that is all there is to the hobby.  Both of these groups represent the extremists.  I am in the group in the middle where I think the National meet is about club business, meeting fellow club members, comparing and viewing numerous Buicks, in whatever condition they are brought in, and having a few refreshements in the parking lot in the evenings with friends, old and new.  I  don't believe any extreme view is the mainstream.  But the fact that people keep coming out year after year is evidence to me that the BCA is going in the right direction.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, JohnD1956 said:

I guess its been at least a year since this beat horse was dragged uphill again.  It is obvious that some people don't think there should be any judging and some people think that is all there is to the hobby.  Both of these groups represent the extremists.  I am in the group in the middle where I think the National meet is about club business, meeting fellow club members, comparing and viewing numerous Buicks, in whatever condition they are brought in, and having a few refreshements in the parking lot in the evenings with friends, old and new.  I  don't believe any extreme view is the mainstream.  But the fact that people keep coming out year after year is evidence to me that the BCA is going in the right direction.

100% agree.  It just caught my eye what Barney wrote.  For anyone in either camp or no camp to notice that is just interesting.   Most trailer queens are awesome cars. Probably all of them.  It would be great to see them and cruise with them but at the end of the day they are - right now - huge investments.  I still think of Larry DiBarrys 38 that got hit in the side and totaled.  Not a trailer queen but drivers these days (usually) don’t care much for old cars and their slower speeds.