1964 Flxible Service Car

This has a drifting of the front end from left to right going into a long turn about 60-65. All I have done so far are shocks, strut arm bushings and service the wheel bearings and replace the tires as it has been sitting for 11 years. Need to chk the front end out.  Guessing center link, idler maybe pitman arm? It looks like this year has 2 different suppliers for some of the parts. Is there any good source for these? It looks like either Saginaw or Trw components are used, is that correct? Thanks

I'm glad to hear Oldsmobile wasn't the only one to do that steering linkage supplier mess. In Olds' case they went one step beyond and have a 1st design and 2nd design. You have to make sure to get the right center link or it will hit the oil pan. Sheesh 🙄.

Check with @mobileparts here on the forums. Odds are Craig will have the USA-made parts and he can tell you how to ID them.

Another question on this. It has no cowl tag only the tag from Flxible. It does have vin on the a pillar , the 4 digit Flxible tag was used for the vin on registration . I believe  Buick at one time shipped stripped chassis to Flxible any reason this would not have a cowl tag? Thanks

20220326_123645_resized_1.jpg.4ab4afa34468d77a28065c43b80eec79.jpg

2 hours ago, Daniel Scully said:

Another question on this. It has no cowl tag only the tag from Flxible. It does have vin on the a pillar , the 4 digit Flxible tag was used for the vin on registration . I believe  Buick at one time shipped stripped chassis to Flxible any reason this would not have a cowl tag? Thanks

20220326_123645_resized_1.jpg.4ab4afa34468d77a28065c43b80eec79.jpg

Probably because once Flxible had the stripped down chassis they mixed and matched Buick parts from various models to suit the Build so it wasn't a pure Electra, or Wildcat etc. Tail lights even came off the Specials some years. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, EmTee said:

It seems odd that the DMV would have used the Flxible S/N rather than the Buick VIN on the A-pillar.  I guess both numbers are unique, so it shouldn't matter, but the cowl tag is simply screwed-on...

Cowl and A pillar tag are screwed on in 1950,  maybe other years.

Ben

2 hours ago, Ben Bruce aka First Born said:

Cowl and A pillar tag are screwed on in 1950,  maybe other years.

Yep, true.  I was just say'n the actual VIN tag on this car is welded to the A-pillar, so wondering why that wasn't used for the original title.  Water over the dam today - I wouldn't bother changing it at this point; that's another can of worms...

• Like 1

On 6/22/2022 at 11:22 PM, Daniel Scully said:

This has a drifting of the front end from left to right going into a long turn about 60-65. All I have done so far are shocks, strut arm bushings and service the wheel bearings and replace the tires as it has been sitting for 11 years. Need to chk the front end out.  Guessing center link, idler maybe pitman arm? It looks like this year has 2 different suppliers for some of the parts. Is there any good source for these? It looks like either Saginaw or Trw components are used, is that correct? Thanks

Buick name for the steering components was : Saginaw" and "Thompson" and used from 1961 thru 1965, some years ago I did a shop tech session on the steering and suspension of a 1961 Buick Electra for our local Buick club meeting, I will see if I dig out the old paperwork and let you know.

Do you need the Buick part numbers? and if so which items do you need part numbers for?

Bob

EDIT: see this for description of which type you have :  See Olds service guild bulletin May 1963. and Buick service bulletin #65-163 from 1965.

D223A17E-0080-41FD-A6CB-93CAA6FD9AA4.jpeg

Edited by NailheadBob
update (see edit history)
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, NailheadBob said:

Buick name for the steering components was : Saginaw" and "Thompson" and used from 1961 thru 1965, some years ago I did a shop tech session on the steering and suspension of a 1961 Buick Electra for our local Buick club meeting, I will see if I dig out the old paperwork and let you know.

Do you need the Buick part numbers? and if so which items do you need part numbers for?

Bob

EDIT: see this for description of which type you have :  See Olds service guild bulletin May 1963.

Well I want to thank Bob for this lesson. I have no experience with the years in this topic so this is new to me, and very interesting information. Thanks for the post Bob!

I found my paper work that I mentioned in earlier post,

"Saginaw" was used on NON power steering cars.    (most of the time)

"Thompson" was used on POWER STEERING cars.   (most of the time)

Center Link ( Rod, Intermediate )Buick called it, #1350788 "Thompson" fits 1962 and 1963 / # 1364902 "Thompson" fits 1964

Idler (Arm, steering idler) Buick called it, # 1350789 "Thompson" fits 1962 and 1964

Strut arm bushings (Bushing, brake reaction rod) Buick called it fits 1961 thru 1968  Buickfarm.com has NOS in stock

Bob

EDIT: I was at the Buick Club of America National Car Show and Swap Meet last week in Lisle, Il

Swap meet vendor has 1 grille with out emblem, and 1 grille with emblem, both in great condition and for a 1963 Buick.

Edited by NailheadBob
  • Like 1

Again, thanks for all the help and clarification. Would you have the pt#s I need for the idler and center link for my 64?

Found a center link on eBay appears correct? 

https://www.ebay.com/itm/274774885622?hash=item3ff9dc04f6:g:A0sAAOSw20xghztC

Edited by Daniel Scully
Add Txt (see edit history)

@Daniel Scully Double check your VIN number, I know your photo from Flexible shows "64", your car looks like front and rear a 1963, parts are not the same from 1963 to 1964.

Here is a link to find your Buick VIN:  https://www.buickheritagealliance.org/index.php/restoration/identify/locate_numbers

The link you posted part number does not match, Canadian parts books and numbers are different.

After you find your Buick VIN, please post it here.

Bob

• Like 1

@Daniel Scully I verified your part number against Buick Master Chassis Parts Book and # 1364902 (Thompson Type) is what it lists fits 46-4800 series with P/S  for 1964.

I learned something new today with your new/used car.

Bob

@Jim Cannon sells a C/D with Buick Master Chassis and Body parts books and also includes dealer service bulletins with it, coverage 1963 thru 1965 for thinking $25.00 

Edited by NailheadBob
  • Like 1

Did not realize I had a parts book, there is a note in there that says to go to the illustration section that shows how to tell the 2 apart. I do not have the illustrations but found this online. =Please Note: For 1961 - 1964 Buick Full Size PS, 1961 - 1962 Oldsmobile Full Size PS/MS and 1963 - 1964 Oldsmobile Full Size PS, state if steering linkage is Saginaw type or TRW type. In order to determine type, measure the pitman arm end center link stud at the end of the taper nearest the threads. Saginaw measures .587, TRW measures .556. Mine measures .561 which is the same as the pt#1364902 I bought on Ebay My parts book shows power steering with either, so I believe the only way to know for sure is measure the stud size.

• Like 1

I feel sorry for GM parts counter person back in the 60's to have to go through this for common steering linkage parts on a regular basis. I wonder what the return policy was for the consumer, and the manufacturer, I would bet a large percentage would be returned, because wrong part.

Bob

• Like 1

I feel sorry for the people assembling the books.  I cannot imagine how they kept all these part numbers unique and up to date when new parts need to be numbered and when availability is terminated. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1