Vintage Air for 63 Riviera

63 RIV MOE

I'm considering a Vintage Air system for my 63. I see a trunk mounted unit available that blows cold air through elbow vents from the package tray. This seems like a much easier install rather than going into the dash with all that hardware. Has anyone done this? If so any issues with the install or cooling?

Edited by 63 RIV MOE (see edit history)

A trunk mounted a/c is an old idea that was used on the earliest experiments with a/c. It didn't work very well due to the poor location for the outlets and lack of counterbalancing windshield heat for front seat occupants. The installation was also difficult due the long distance from the underhood compressor and condenser to the evaporator in the trunk. Not sure but my guess is that the VA rear unit is designed to piggyback on a front unit to cool a large car and not as a stand alone unit. I installed a regular underdash VA conversion in a 63 Riv, it is involved but not really that difficult and will work much better. If you search in the ROA Riviera forum here you will find a number of conversion threads that may help. 

• Like 1