Hidden antenna

Doctor's Pontiac

I have an original AM radio rebuilt for my 1941 Oldsmobile. Car originally had no radio. To install an antenna I have the option of drilling a hole on the cowl for an aftermarket antenna (I am very concerned of doing a poor job and ruining the body) or trying something sold as "hidden antenna" that is just a cable with a receptor on the other end that is attached to the inside of the windshield.

Does it matter if the car is 6 volt system for these antennas to work? I am not sure the antenna needs power although some of these have internal electronics included.

This is an example on e-bay. It is very inexpensive so I don't mind trying this first and if not working then go for the risky decision of drilling a hole

https://www.ebay.com/itm/393067505900?hash=item5b84a628ec:g:TroAAOSwYX9f4cV1&amdata=enc%3AAQAHAAAA4MPODk3M40T5RMQXWEgmJwijXjvSgya%2FzrTVN0h1uHelsfWOY011m4%2FoqeA%2Bur%2BOEfDQIux0UhsKhA7Q5cec0sc6hJjfPdZT%2BasJuPLgiK9wuRpcFMVyYXn1gGwGldqeMfFKPG%2BK8174FvRV3RKEcxcHi%2BnSbQDsNsV5epFlvFQfa1vdIdfcwoDHuURtWQ0wpdY9QcXBA816FDx%2BUb%2BhmWoIya2wwaMioy98ablsOyNvU55pCgm0yRYr8zlB1NVc5GCIz46MEsPi4ju2ccKe9eagXhZr76DkNAiwWADmsJdA|tkp%3ABFBM_JTZja9g

Thanks for any suggestions and comments

Manuel

My opinion is that the only way I would make a hole in the cowl is if I were able to find a correct antenna for your car, just like what came on it from the factory. I would not make a hole for anything else. You might be able to get an aftermarket antenna for $8.00 to work but it will stand out if it mounts to the inside of the windshield. I think your best option is to stretch wire under the car or running boards. Your 1941 Olds probably does not have runningboards. I have a 1940 Lasalle. 

2 hours ago, Tom Boehm said:

My opinion is that the only way I would make a hole in the cowl is if I were able to find a correct antenna for your car, just like what came on it from the factory. I would not make a hole for anything else. You might be able to get an aftermarket antenna for $8.00 to work but it will stand out if it mounts to the inside of the windshield. I think your best option is to stretch wire under the car or running boards. Your 1941 Olds probably does not have runningboards. I have a 1940 Lasalle. 

I've looked for an original for a year with no success. My car has no running boards and the hidden antenna requires exposure to the outside and can not be mounted on metal because that blocks the signal. Between a rock and a hard place, I guess. I will try this modern stuff on the windshield first. I have a good AM station locally that is fun to listen to. If it works, is OK because will be easy to remove and won't compromise integrity of an original body.

2 hours ago, Oldtech said:

Antenna doesn't care what the voltage is.

Thank you, I needed to make sure before trying. If you search on ebay, you will find similar items to the one I posted that come with an electronic component that works on 12 volt power.

My ‘40 Pontiac had the arial mounted on the side of the panel that the door hinges to. It had two round insulated mounting blocks, one at the base and the other further up to support it. Each block had a rubber grommet to waterproof the mounting.

The lower base had a brass stud to connect to the antenna lead inside the car, easy to access by removing the kick panel trim. Looked neat and period for that car. Funny that it did not have a radio when I bought it but added one later.

You can see in the photo the two round but tapered mounting blocks.

If you can locate one it would be a neater fix and easier to install (two small holes). 

BYW Pontiac is Holden bodied RHD Silver Arrow 6cyl.

Rodney 😀😀😀😀😀😀

4D8C6CD3-E440-4AA4-B43C-7187D62E149F.jpeg

B53A971C-B043-4118-B28C-C333BA84A697.jpeg

3 hours ago, rodneybeauchamp said:

My ‘40 Pontiac had the arial mounted on the side of the panel that the door hinges to. It had two round insulated mounting blocks, one at the base and the other further up to support it. Each block had a rubber grommet to waterproof the mounting.

The lower base had a brass stud to connect to the antenna lead inside the car, easy to access by removing the kick panel trim. Looked neat and period for that car. Funny that it did not have a radio when I bought it but added one later.

You can see in the photo the two round but tapered mounting blocks.

If you can locate one it would be a neater fix and easier to install (two small holes). 

BYW Pontiac is Holden bodied RHD Silver Arrow 6cyl.

Rodney 😀😀😀😀😀😀

4D8C6CD3-E440-4AA4-B43C-7187D62E149F.jpeg

B53A971C-B043-4118-B28C-C333BA84A697.jpeg

It is a valid option, thank you, will explore it. I see you are in Australia. Are you sure those 2 kids are not the brother GIbbs, the famous BeeGees? They look like Barry and Robin Gibb in the mid 50s! Great photo. Manuel

37 minutes ago, Doctor's Pontiac said:

It is a valid option, thank you, will explore it. I see you are in Australia. Are you sure those 2 kids are not the brother GIbbs, the famous BeeGees? They look like Barry and Robin Gibb in the mid 50s! Great photo. Manuel

Not quite! The one on the right is my daughter, Karlie aged about twelve. Her friend ??? Is someone who was staying at the same caravan park at Port Victoria in South Australia. We towed our second hand camper trailer with the Pontiac with all globes on six volt. No problems and a lot of comments. We stayed about four days and they kept each other company. 😀😀😀😀 Photo taken about 1988- 1989. 

• 4 weeks later...
On 6/19/2022 at 4:44 AM, Doctor's Pontiac said:

I've looked for an original for a year with no success. My car has no running boards and the hidden antenna requires exposure to the outside and can not be mounted on metal because that blocks the signal. Between a rock and a hard place, I guess. I will try this modern stuff on the windshield first. I have a good AM station locally that is fun to listen to. If it works, is OK because will be easy to remove and won't compromise integrity of an original body.

Thank you, I needed to make sure before trying. If you search on ebay, you will find similar items to the one I posted that come with an electronic component that works on 12 volt power.

HI there 

I saw this post, and I have 1941 oldsmobile 8 cilinder, I need very badly " oil pump drive gear on top / small one" or someone calling "distributor gear", or used oil pump so I can put in part... Do you have or know someone where I can find it?? 

Thanks for your answer 

Alenoldy@gmail.com