Correct Oil Filter for a '65 Plymouth

I might be wrong (relying on memory, again), but I seem to recall the black/yellow filter was more in the early '60s, whereas the red/white/blue was more toward the '70s. I think I'd opt more toward the r/w/b version, although the oil filter removal picture in my '67 Chrysler Service Manual shows a black filter with lighter letting on it (for the B/RB engine) and the word "MOPAR" is visible on it in block script. Sometimes, what was sold via Chrysler Parts Division might not match what was on the vehicle from the factory when new as it was always the newest version.

You might check out a genuine Chrysler Service Manual for your year of vehicle to see if that picture matches what is currently available from Mopar Performance in the Restoration Parts section of the catalog.

You could do a lot worse than get a current Mopar filter for that engine, but it'll be the "short" filter as they superceded/consolidated all of the long filters to that short variation. Same applications, just a shorter length. At least, you'd be useing a factory filter instead of something else.

Enjoy!

NTX5467

• 3 weeks later...

I have a 65 service manual and it shows the black filter with MOPAR lettering on a B block but it might be a carry over from earlier year manuals. I trying to build a concours car and want to get it right. Thanks