Chrysler series 72

I have a1928 Chrysler series 72 convertible coupe 

looking at the classic car data base it lists this model as having a 120.5 w/b

mine is 118 3/4 w/b

am i measuring it wrong centre of hub cap to centre of hub cap 

or is it a different w/b because its right hand drive

Hi John 

I’m sitting here having a bit of a chuckle about this, as the book I have says 120.5 but when I did the Fedco look up it stated 118 3/4 for my car and that’s how it measures up. 
The fun of early Chrysler’s! On this forum I have learnt so much from questions that I and others have ask here and I’m still learning but unfortunately sometimes the only response to the questions are the sound of crickets 🦗  chirping. 
As for the wheel base business and I’m only surmising that perhaps these cars were early in the production run as when I look my one up it states it was a 1927-28 Chrysler 72. If I’m wrong on this I’m sure someone will chime in pretty quickly as they usually do when I start assuming things. By the way no hard feelings to those that have corrected me in the past it’s good that’s how we learn. 
Anyway that’s enough of my rambling hope it helps.
Cheers Ben

• Thanks 1

I owned a 1928 Chrysler 72 sedan. What I discovered was that there was a first series and a second series. The first series was likely leftover 1927 models while the second series were true 1928 models. The dash was the most glaring difference. Sorry, I never got around to measuring the wheelbase. Zeke

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, zeke01 said:

I owned a 1928 Chrysler 72 sedan. What I discovered was that there was a first series and a second series. The first series was likely leftover 1927 models while the second series were true 1928 models. The dash was the most glaring difference. Sorry, I never got around to measuring the wheelbase. Zeke

Hmm 🤔 interesting comments Zeke and thanks for making them I guess you are talking about the 27 oval type dash I know my dash is more like the 75 style but different colour here is a pic. 

134B7288-D51C-45DA-81D6-21CC85C3D952.jpeg

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Vintageben said:

Hmm 🤔 interesting comments Zeke and thanks for making them I guess you are talking about the 27 oval type dash I know my dash is more like the 75 style but different colour here is a pic. 

134B7288-D51C-45DA-81D6-21CC85C3D952.jpeg

HI ben 

thanks for replying to the w/b question nice to know someone else has same w/b as mine

enclosed picture of my dash ( note km ) and right hand drive

I know this might sound silly but up to seeing picture of your dash I did not realize my fuel gauge is missing

and i have had the car for 6 months well just another item on the list which seems to get bigger

still trying to trace which country my car came from has to be a country using right hand drive and km 

I applied to Chrysler historic records 3 months ago hoping for a build sheet soon 

love Chryslers but will never understand the way they alter parts even on same model and year builds

anyway good luck with yours

John

rv3FFqploitzNhLxe5AG9DRipPl6bnFZW2qiCRUE.jpg

• Like 1

Another interesting observation John is that your instruments are white on a black background as opposed to black on white background. Also finding a fuel gauge is one thing, finding a fuel gauge and sender unit that will work maybe another. I’m pretty sure the model 65 uses white on a black background but it is a different cluster and I’m doubtful as to if the fuel gauge is the same as the 72.  Also what is the max speed on your speedo ? 
Cheers Ben

• Thanks 1

HI ben regarding my instrument panel just another mystery with this car 

looking at the paperwork I have for the car I found a receipt for the whole instrument panel reconditioning

so don't know why the fuel gauge is missing. the speedometer is in km don't know the max reading

I see your cluster is engine turned finish which i think is correct where mine is nickel on the outer area and chrome on back which was probably done

during reconditioning the whole cluster. this might not be correct also has new sender unit. and another thing to ad to my ever growing list there is no speedo cable

the joy of classic car ownership

JOHN

• Like 1

Ben's and John's guage clusters are totally different. even the chrome/nickel guage surrounds are not the same, check the different designs. I will have to look and see what is in the parts book, I suspect they could be different years and maybe a difference because of body styles?

I bought a set of guages in Toronto that I thought were for my 1928 model 62 and fortunately saw the difference before shipping, they turned out to be for a 1929 series 65, and in rough condition. At a quick glance they look the same, but closer inspection showed the chrome guage surround is different, the individual guage bezels are different and also different color gauge faces.

Good luck finding a working Gas guage, I was going to use the Toronto one on my series 62, but it was broken inside, the pointer/needle fits into a diecast part and it has disintegrated with age, there is no plan to fix them. I was lucky and found a correct one thru this forum, the seller told me he had 12 others that were irrepairable.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, viv w said:

Ben's and John's guage clusters are totally different. even the chrome/nickel guage surrounds are not the same, check the different designs. I will have to look and see what is in the parts book, I suspect they could be different years and maybe a difference because of body styles?

I bought a set of guages in Toronto that I thought were for my 1928 model 62 and fortunately saw the difference before shipping, they turned out to be for a 1929 series 65, and in rough condition. At a quick glance they look the same, but closer inspection showed the chrome guage surround is different, the individual guage bezels are different and also different color gauge faces.

Good luck finding a working Gas guage, I was going to use the Toronto one on my series 62, but it was broken inside, the pointer/needle fits into a diecast part and it has disintegrated with age, there is no plan to fix them. I was lucky and found a correct one thru this forum, the seller told me he had 12 others that were irrepairable.

This is more like a 1929 Chrysler 75 instrument bezel.

1929 Chrysler dash.jpg

• Thanks 1

We are currently restoring two different S75s here in Norway and have 4 instrument panels in between those. They all have the same layout and coloring, a nickel-plated surround with a black main panel accented by gold striping, and white instruments with black visors and digits. Kilometer and mph speedometers have identical layout. Max reading of speedometer can by the be checked by looking behind the corner to the left of the 0-marker, or by careful shaking of the dismounted instrument.

This layout compares to Series 65 instruments that has a more square background (but still black color with nickel surround and what looks like a simplified silver accenting around each instrument), black instruments with white lettering and visor. The individual instruments of a Series 65 can be exchanged with Plymouth etc from the same era but some can only be mounted upside down.

1326584503_29ChryS75DCPNOR1805Halden(2).jpg.36509b891c6788e1e84b7ca2adf5f315.jpg

1167353009_CRDashin3WCoupe0601.jpeg.be449a0dc69748171bbe001414540a9f.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1