A Trip Down Automobile Row

MrEarl

Found while researching concrete floors in old car dealerships. Not all Buick but an interesting read NTL

https://www.bu.edu/articles/2011/a-trip-down-automobile-row/ 

and the accompanying video. I'm sure this is old news to most but I still find it fascinating

Edited by MrEarl (see edit history)
  • Like 4

As a kid in the early to mid fifties, I remember a lot of these dealerships in Boston's Auto Mile.  By the late seventies to early eighties, many dealers (those of which were still in business) moved to Norwood, MA's Auto Mile. 

• Thanks 1

Yep, IF you pay attention to what you're looking at, you can tell what was there years ago.  In DFW, as 7-11s grew, easy to tell where they were and later ended up.  Even where they were dualled with Chief Auto Parts in the same building.  All in the days before 7-11s all sold gasoline.

Thanks for posting the video!

NTX5467

• Like 1

Thanks for posting MrEarl, pretty cool!

I am fascinated by Buick's Self-Shifter transmission, I am always searching for information on these transmissions, if any one can lead me to some let me know. Here is some other information I found searching for Self-Shifter.

This is not Buick related BUT while searching for self-shifter I came across 2 things: 1) Reo in 1933 & 1934 had a self-shifting transmission that Ranson E. Olds was instrumental with its design and when he started the  new automobile company he was not allowed to use "Oldsmobile" name so he used his initials "REO" 

2) there is a video on YouTube 1934 Reo self-shifter at an AACA event ( I don't know how to attach here) "Checking out Joseph's 1933 REO with the Semi Automatic"

ALSO fairly new book is out "Chicago's Motor Row"

I hope I am not out of line posting this here.

Bob

• Like 1