AC Fuel Pump

mike brady

Hi Mike,

All early T-Birds used the same fuel pump, a modified version of the fuel pump used on the 1955-56 full size Fords. All Fords of that era had vacuum wipers. The reason for the modified fuel pump was due to frame clearance the fuel filter needed to be repositioned so that it didn’t hit the frame.

As for the AC number, I don’t have that. I do have a “made in USA” fuel pump in my parts bin but couldn’t determine if it was made by AC and didn’t see a number on it. You might want to check with CASCO to see if they can tell you that or have one for sale. I think any AC pumps that are available these days are either NOS or rebuilt.

Sorry I couldn’t be of more help.

Lew Bachman

1957 Thunderbird

• 2 weeks later...

Where can I get a rebuild kit for my '56? I have tried 3 pumps and all are imported junk that either failed within a mile or just never worked. The last brand new one worked on the vacuum side but had no suction at the fuel inlet?? Thankfully I  have an electric pump that initially was for priming and now runs full time with an inertia safety switch added. I have searched but have yet to find a kit. I am speculating that the problem is in the internal valves. THX

To source the correct rebuild kit, you first need to know what brand of pump you have.  Next you need to read the pump number on the mounting flange.  AC pump rebuild kits are available through Then and Now Automotive.  I don't know if rebuild kits are available for Airtex or Carter pumps.

• 3 months later...

To my best knowledge.

All ford pumps were AC Units.

I know there are aftermarket pumps, the brand names escapes me at this time.

The Fuel bowls for Bird were also AC.

Cool tid bit >>> Ford owned Holley years ago, the toilet bowl Holley 4 barrel was even used on a 57 F supercharged Bird and or Ford pass.

BTW, have a 57 Supercharged F bird for sale, and several T Bird Jr Cars. 55-63

John

Edited by harris speedster (see edit history)