1920 9B shifting

H.Earl 1

I've owned my '21 9B touring for over 30 years and still think it's a pleasure to drive. 

First of all, the shift pattern is a reverse-H, totally different from the Model A:

2         R

|          |

+-----+

|          |

3         1

Before driving my '21, I pause a bit to remind myself of the shift pattern, horn location (on the driver's door), and that I essentially have no brakes (compared to modern cars).

The clutch is very light and responds well. Shifting is an art and takes practice, but once you learn it becomes very natural.  No speed shifts here. You're part of a slower era.

The Model A is 9 years newer, has more improvements and is easier to shift. But I've never complained about my Franklin transmission.

The 9B is slower than the Model A (lesser top speed and slower acceleration), but that's not why you're driving the Franklin. It has precise steering and a surprisingly smooth ride. I enjoy driving my Franklin through the Texas back roads.

Let us know about your potential Franklin purchase. Be sure to join the Franklin Club. Very nice, helpful people.

https://www.franklincar.org/index.php

• Like 2

Everybody thinks that standard shift means a manual transmission. I doesn't. The model A had a standard shift transmission, meaning the normal H shift pattern like the later Franklins had. But earlier cars had many different shift patterns. The Franklin shift, the Dodge of similar years had a different shift from Franklin and standard as did many other cars. 

And that continued even later, Bill. My Sister used to win lunch money at college betting others they couldn't drive her 55 Austin Westminster (export left-hand drive). Four speeds on the column and reversed of American. Most would start out in the wrong gear and stall the engine.😁

Paul

Edited by PFitz (see edit history)

20 hours ago, PFitz said:

And that continued even later, Bill. My Sister used to win lunch money at college betting others they couldn't drive her 55 Austin Westminster (export left-hand drive). Four speeds on the column and reversed of American. Most would start out in the wrong gear and stall the engine.😁

Paul

Yes, I know. My brother owned a 1953 Jowett Jupiter with the 4 on the column crazy.

Interesting that in 1922 with the Series 10A Franklin flipped the H pattern and went with what we know as the standard 3 sped H-pattern right through to end of production. Even their Detroit and Warner four speeds used that same H-pattern. They just added the "Emergency low" gear (what some would call 1st gear or granny or stump-puller gear) off of the H on the left.

The 4 speed "Low" or 2nd gear is where 1st would be on a 3 speed and that's what you start out in on all but steep hills.

Paul