Bending the rules (Still, not Mine)

I thought I would try something a little different. "NOT MINE" rules suggest that a single car be presented in a forum post. However, I thought we might engage in a more active discussion if we could compare three somewhat similar cars in similar condition, each advertised at the same price. 

These three, a 1938 Ford, a 1937 Chevrolet, and a 1939 Buick Special are all advertised at $11,000 each, different sellers, different towns in Washington State. They are all current listings posted within the last 24 hours. I won't take the time to post more than a couple of pictures of each. Click in the Craigslist listing for more.

If any of you forum members feel that my twisting the rules here is an egregious breech of forum regulations, let me know and I'll take the post down.

What I have in mind is an open and active discussion about the pros and cons of each individual car and, likewise, a discussion comparing them against one another: condition, price, relative popularity in the collector car market, advertising presentation, caveats if any, and your history with any or all similar cars, if applicable. I'll be interested in reading your comments.

#1)

Original 1938 Ford Deluxe Tudor 2 Door Sedan - $11,000 (Marysville / Lake Stevens area)

https://seattle.craigslist.org/sno/cto/d/marysville-original-1938-ford-deluxe/7496176665.html

1938 Ford Model 81A Deluxe Tudor Sedan. Purchased from original owner in 1966. Original 85 HP 221 cubic inch and 3 speed transmission have been rebuilt and have very low miles. Car starts easy and runs and drives very well. All gauges work. Body and frame are very solid. Excellent wide whitewall tires. Lifetime Washington State license. Includes original Jack, Ford tool kit, and Ford owner's Reference Manual.
Please call Bill at 425-334-4920 (Land-Line no text) or Call / Text 425 280-7327

00909_jqUgmsSrbJlz_0CI0t2_1200x900.jpg

00D0D_4KZtwOf6Guz_0CI0t2_600x450.jpg

#2)

1937 chevrolet. 2dr sedan - $11,000 (Olympic Peninsula)

https://seattle.craigslist.org/see/cto/d/beaver-1937-chevrolet-2dr-sedan/7495757736.html

1937 chev 2 dr. Org. Been storage 20+years. Good glass , interior good sound body no rust.    Mick     (360) 640-2052

00P0P_7pB3QaATwWuz_0t20CI_1200x900.jpg00Q0Q_6mbiiYoxa1Bz_0t20CI_1200x900.jpg

#3)

1939 Buick Special - $11,000 (Puyallup)

https://seattle.craigslist.org/tac/cto/d/sumner-1939-buick-special/7496149553.html

Survivor Buick. I am the second owner. Bought new in Victoria BC. 76,000 miles. New carburetor, fuel pump, re-cored radiator, muffler, battery, like new wide white wall tires new brakes. Front seat worn with worn vintage seat cover. Good Upholstery and headliner. Decent original paint. Runs good, stops good. Several old aftermarket accessories. After 82 years there is plenty of road rash. Both front fender have damage. Zero rust. Good trunk with spare and jack. Vintage plate on permanent registration. Wiring old and shows wear. NO TEXTS

• Ron      (253) 355-3133

• 00707_gFQsbY73InXz_0CI0t2_1200x900.jpg

00x0x_bxpXxba2gPWz_0CI0t2_1200x900.jpg

Edited by f.f.jones (see edit history)
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, 1939_Buick said:

The cost in 1939 would be interesting. 

Base prices (new) in US$:

1939 Buick Special 4-door Touring Sedan      base MSRP...$996.

1938 Ford 81A Deluxe 2-door Sedan                   "         "   ...$725

1937 Chevrolet 2-door Sedan (Master?)             "         "    ...$702

Edited by f.f.jones (see edit history)
  • Like 2

The Buick is interesting but it would my second choice. The Ford is my first choice. I like GM cars in general but I am not a big Chevy fan. I guess I like the Ford because I have a 47 so that makes it easier to own. I actually like the design of the 38 Ford over my 47.

Edited by deac (see edit history)
  • Like 1

The Ford’s ready to go, and looks good. Chevy’s been sitting for 20 years. Buick looks tired, but is a bigger, better car, if all things were equal. But ‘39 Buicks have some troublesome one year only features that need investigation.

I’d go with the Ford.

• Like 1

+1 on a creative, fun approach.  The info is there for any serious buyers and the general grouping makes sense to me, vs. A 29 Packard, 39 Chevy and a Mustang, right?

I am still considering the pros and cons.  Buick is a step up generally, but I like the two doors...

• Like 1

Tossup between the Ford and the Chevy. The Ford  looks like the nicest one of the bunch, but I owned a ‘37 Chevy once, so I’m a little partial to it. Would have to touchy freely both before deciding. I think you have more negotiating room with the Chevy and Buick. Chevy for sitting20+ years. Buick for the road rash, bumps and bruises. 

• Like 1

Interesting way of posting cars and I like the idea. Hope you'll consider more of these posts. 

I'd go with the Ford be cause it's ready to go and I like the looks. 

I would go with the Ford for being a turn key driver with a good price and the style is pretty unique, although the Chevrolet is my favorite in style, but being stored for so long, it must need everything gone through. If the Buick were a 38 I would call it 2nd place.

• Like 2

I think this is great! Often you see two very similar cars at way different price points...they would also make a good combined post.

• Like 1