Charging Battery 47 Lin.

Cokekid

While working on the car my neighbor he want's to connect a charger to the battery with the car battery cables already connected to the battery. My question is how should the charger cables be connected to the battery.? 

The reason I ask, our car have a Negative Positive.

Gerry

You can charge the battery connected to the vehicle, just make sure of the polarity of the charger leads.  Yes, Lincolns of this vintage use positive battery terminal as chassis ground.  Just be careful what you hook up keeping the grounding in mind that is different from modern vehicles.  Ole Henry's engineers seem to like to be different, no real engineering principles in grounding the positive battery lead. But being kept in perspective as long as the devices of the vehicle are observed, it'll work.  Old Fords did the same things along the way!   I prefer to leave my Optima batter disconnected from vehicle with a trickle charge to keep it up so when I need it and just reconnect the battery to the car.  And you always had to remember when jumping the battery when it ran down from another vehicle, if it was a negative ground you had to keep the leads and vehicles isolated.  If the vehicles ever touched each other while trying get the battery jumped you could have some interesting sparks with the two different grounding systems!

Ray500

That's how I thought it should have been done. Instead when I went out to get some gas and returned he had attached the cables from the charger to the battery Positive to Positive Negative to negative. One side of the the coil was hot . I disconnected the coil to test it like skip sent inserted folder for the coil I had rebuilt by Skip.

Here are the readings I now get

Skips Reading 

Brass coil to brushes both .7  I get .6 ohm

Brash coil to spring 4000 -, 4500  I get 5600 ohm om both springs

I take it my coil is toast.?

Evidently the ignition switch was left on while you went out to get gas. The charger was connected correctly. Your coil may still be OK. Start the car and check for a 1/2" blue spark when a plug wire is held close to a head bolt. Do this for both sides of the coil. If the spark is orange in color, your coil may be damaged.

Leaving the ignition turned on can heat up the coil and burn the points without the engine running.  And you don't want to charge the battery with things running or turned on in the car.  I really prefer to disconnect the battery from the vehicle when charging the battery.  I once tried one of the battery cutoff switches, but as it turns out I was losing voltage and current going through the switch.  When you only have 6 volts you have to make every volt and amp count!  And as batteries do wear out their output drops as they age.  I do prefer the Optima battery since it doesn't leak acid on the engine.  I'm still waiting for a lithium battery replacement for the traditional 6 volt battery, not sure if they will ever make a good replacement.