Words of wisdom... "Top Ten Tech Tips in 20 Words or Less"

rocketraider

July 22 Hemmings Classic Car came today. Quick browsing found a fullpage ad page from Moss Motors (the Britcar suppliers) that included "Top Ten Tech Tips in 20 Words or Less".

This one made me throw my head back and hee-haw. Any of us who have had to deal with Previous Owner's Stamp  will appreciate it.

"If you are having a problem, never assume a system has not been modified by a previous owner or mechanic"

Another added "no matter what anyone says about British car reliability, we look better fixing ours than they do driving theirs"

Thanks Wade Karhan, Jeff Hartman and Moss Motors!😁

• Haha 2

Yes, that's not only entertaining but it's true!  Remember Joe Lucas, Prince of darkness.

Terry

• Peter Gariepy changed the title to Words of wisdom... "Top Ten Tech Tips in 20 Words or Less"
37 minutes ago, Bhigdog said:

Always start all the bolts before tightening any of them.

If there is a 50-50 chance it will be wrong 70% of the time...............Bob

Related: Tighten every fastener as if it's the last time you'll touch it.

There have been a handful of times where I've only tightened a fastener finger-tight thinking I'd come back and get it torqued later only to get distracted and not remember until something goes wrong. No more.

• Like 4

25 minutes ago, Matt Harwood said:

Related: Tighten every fastener as if it's the last time you'll touch it.

There have been a handful of times where I've only tightened a fastener finger-tight thinking I'd come back and get it torqued later only to get distracted and not remember until something goes wrong. No more.

Had a friend do that with cylinder head nuts. He found out pretty quick.

Terry

• Haha 1

"Don't think for a minute you'll remember how everything goes back together."

That is a lesson I learned the very hard way.I don't care how easy or simple something seems,take pictures,more pictures,then some more pictures before you tear into the thing.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2

15 hours ago, Andy J said:

That is a lesson I learned the very hard way.I don't care how easy or simple something seems,take pictures,more pictures,then some more pictures before you tear into the thing.

+100%

After countless of cars (many of them same/similar to each other) I’ve restored or worked during past 40+ years, I still photo document all of it on daily bases with numerous before, during & after shots, yet I still periodically come across something that wasn’t adequately captured.

Photo documentation of my last “complete” restoration accumulated +/-15000 images.

Just a properly documented engine rebuild can easily produce hundreds of photos. I’m currently doing 3 along with 2 automatic and 1 manual transmission from 1950’s, a complete 1956 (American luxury car) chassis rebuild/restoration (decisions on body & interior still to be determined), metal and paint repairs + some suspension corrections on a 50 year old V12 Ferrari (3 more identical cars on the waiting list for various smaller repairs and services) and all are and/or will be thoroughly photo documented. 

As for the “wisdom”(?), although it applies to just about everything in life, my first signature line is something I realized decades ago when initially cutting my teeth in vintage car repairs & restoration and it has been my mantra ever since.

Another ways to look at it could or should be like this:

”Do you know exactly what, why and how it does whatever it’s intended to do ? If not, might be best you don’t attempt to fix it” (Sorry about more than 20 words).

… or …

as “Inspector H. Callahan” so aptly observed ”Man’s got to know his limitations”.

Edited by TTR (see edit history)

1 hour ago, Bloo said:

It's never the ECM.

Yup, but by disconnecting and reconnecting the harness, as necessary to change the ECU, that typically cleans the corrosion on the terminals that was causing the problem, so it frequently APPEARS to have been the ECU.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, joe_padavano said:

"Read the factory service manual"

1 hour ago, Bhigdog said:

If all else fails read the directions..................Bob

I dunno, some of those Britcar "workshop manuals" leave a bit to be desired. 

I've also found they sometimes assume you know a great deal more about the car than you actually do...☺️

4 minutes ago, rocketraider said:

I dunno, some of those Britcar "workshop manuals" leave a bit to be desired. 

I've also found they sometimes assume you know a great deal more about the car than you actually do...☺️

Sorry, Glenn, you lost me at "Britcar"... 😁

Full disclosure, I once owned an XJ6, but only with the intent of doing a V8 swap. Unfortunately (fortunately?) the car went away in the first divorce.

17 hours ago, Andy J said:

Either take pictures or buy a parts car so you can see how it goes together and where all them there extra parts you have goes. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, avgwarhawk said:

Save the left over nuts, bolts and washers from this repair for your next repair. 

We always refer to those pars as the optional parts.

On 6/11/2022 at 9:13 AM, Bloo said:

It's never the ECM.

Spoken by the service advisor to the customer. Oh, and the ECM is not part of the fuel injection system and therefore not covered by warranty. Yeah sure😝

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, 60FlatTop said:

Develop a sequence of basic troubleshooting steps that you are comfortable with. Use it every time. Never deviate.

Which for most in today's world appears to mean running to a computer and posting on (presumably) relevant forum something like “I suspect there’s something wrong with my car/engine/whatever. What do you guys think the problem is and how do I fix it ?”

Edited by TTR (see edit history)
  • Haha 1