Fuel Pump Rod Clearence

jord

I was going over some earlier post and noticed that you could possibly lose a lot of oil pressure if your clearance between rod and bushing is too great. My question is what tolerance is required? Mine falls straight in

Thanks

If your oil press8ure is normal, your pushrod bushing is probably OK. The bushing id a loose fit and there is little wear force and plenty of oil to lubricate it.

I would not try to replace it unless you are rebuilding the engine or are having low oil pressure problems.

• 2 weeks later...

25lbs pressure could be fine with the stock oil pump. It depends upon the oil viscosity and the rpm that you are seeing this pressure.

When the fuel pump push rod wears out the bushing, the oil pressure is near 0lbs at most rpms. I would drive and enjoy the car. If you start to hear unwelcome sounds from the engine, then I would investigate why.

On 6/10/2022 at 10:10 AM, jord said:

I was going over some earlier post and noticed that you could possibly lose a lot of oil pressure if your clearance between rod and bushing is too great. My question is what tolerance is required? Mine falls straight in

Thanks

You can take the rod out and it won’t make any difference. The bushing is what gives you the oil pressure. The clearance between the rod and bushing makes zero difference.