38 Olds: Harrison Heater Help

cron1984

Good Evening,

Quick thanks to everyone for sharing their knowledge, especially all the guys with threads on their pre-war projects. This forum has been a great source of information and inspiration as I restore my Grandfather’s 38 Olds. 
I’m currently rewiring and cleaning up the Harrison heater. I was able to disassemble and solder new wiring in the blower motor, however the defroster motor is giving me some fits, I can’t seem to get the stator out of the motor housing. The armature spins freely and I can get it to pull out of the brushes, but the stator won’t budge. The plastic plate restricts my vision and I don’t want to force anything and break something. Not sure if the notches in the housing are holding it in there or if it’s just 80+ years of crud. I’ve attached some pictures that will hopefully look familiar to some folks (taped the shaft to keep from losing those washers)
thank you again,

Chris. 

84066E48-B752-41A4-9092-8620A479ED99.jpeg

6C781BFE-FA13-44D2-BD80-6D37FEBAEF81.jpeg

8F7600FE-31FD-4C0F-B23A-DD239E7D4187.jpeg

70177F92-1766-4EB4-8B15-D87B0104F610.jpeg

C76267BC-797E-4810-BBDE-D816B1E370C2.jpeg

• 1 year later...

Hi cron1984, I'm presently researching all posts about HEATERS, and came across this Post of yours. I recently dismantled a Harrison Heater Motor from likely a late 1930s Chevrolet under dash unit shaped like a triangle on top of a rectangle. I believe it was a 6 volt motor and short. Yours is showing a small Oiling hole on the rear shaft bearing. I had to gut this little motor to get it to move for the display I'm working on. The Non- Brush end of the shaft has a ball shaped bearing that is held in place by a Captive 6 spring finger housing, that hold the ball bearing inside of a FELT Donut soaked in electric motor oil, so when it gets regular servicing of a few drops of this oil motor spins as it should. The 6 spring fingers are made up of 2 sets of 3 fingers each. I imagine when the motor is assembled at the factory it is put on first then the Ball Bearing piece might be press fit onto shaft. As I see it these are not meant to come apart for servicing. Best Wishes to you. Tom

• Like 1

Hi cron1984, As a follow-up, if the shaft spins a little bit, that's good, add a few drops of ELECTRIC MOTOR three in one oil to the Oiling hole at end of housing and put shaft in a hand drill and run it in both directions for a few minuets and that should get you rolling. Sometimes it's best to not try to take everything apart as it could get destroyed it the process. Best Wishes, Tom

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1