Need help - with finding '90 Reatta rear struts

Lex371

Im trying to find the rear struts for my 90 reatta and everyone is out of stock, I tried to find some alternatives like the air shocks for the riviera, but I can't find those either if anyone has any idea of where I can buy a pair, or some advice on what to do it would be much appreciated.

Edited by Lex371
Grammar (see edit history)

• Ronnie changed the title to Need help - with finding '90 Reatta rear struts

Just did a search......... did not contact these sources but these indicated they had the Monroe 71966 struts

* Shocks are us.... 67.34 each

* Jegs........ 67.99

* Ebay....searched by Monroe 71966 number  86.99 free shipping. 

They were sold out also didn't see any named shocks are us but the similarly named ones were either on backorder or also sold out, the one on ebay I had already contacted the seller and they were sold out :(.

I know, there is zero reason for shipping to be that high.  I even sent them a message about it.  They said it is what is it.  Talk about price gouging.  Even Fex Ex overnight wouldn't be more then $250.00.  I wonder if there is a way to report them to ebay?

• Like 1

There is quite a few of us working on the problem,  since the main manufacturer of the rear struts have refused to make anymore.  Do not throw away old ones. You can install strut inserts that are very close to factory spec. Not to give you false hope but people are trying.

On 6/14/2022 at 2:50 PM, padgett said:

Thought someone mention a Volvo shock but no details. Allante or Toronado should be the same/similar, Rivieras are self leveling.

I think where they keep bringing up Volvo is early 1990 tp 1993 240 front strut inserts, very similar stroke but diameter smaller than original, and longer body as per monroe strut chart.

1 hour ago, 1989 said:

There is quite a few of us working on the problem,  since the main manufacturer of the rear struts have refused to make anymore.  Do not throw away old ones. You can install strut inserts that are very close to factory spec. Not to give you false hope but people are trying.

How does the whole strut insert thing work?

4 hours ago, Lex371 said:

How does the whole strut insert thing work?

Cutting around the circumference of the strut body at the top. Some would have a threaded cap that was unfastened.  The strut piston inside the strut body removed and oil drained.  A new sealed strut cartridge is installed into the now empty strut body. There is a threaded cap that secures the strut cartridge in the strut body. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

when searching online, I saw a company that rebuilt shocks for things like 4 wheelers and snow mobiles

I don't remember what search I was using but they might be open to rebuilding Reatta struts. 

I am intransit going home from the BCA national meet and when I get home maybe I can find the company again

When asking might mention that all GM E bodies (Allante, Reatta, Riviera, Toronado) of the late 80s and early 90s can use the same shock. Put them all together and are talking several hundred thousand cars.

Thanks for updating, I seen it has 2 different part numbers.  Just never heard of westar... I was just trying to cover all bases..