49 mec m-68

Stede

Hey everyone

I have more questions about my 49 merc?  I can't get it to fire up?  I have spark, fuel in carb etc.

My question is this:  which way is the motor suppose to turn.  On this one the fan is going left.  This might be a silly question but isn't it supposed to turn right?  Anything would be helpfull.

7 hours ago, Bloo said:

Where were you standing when it went left?

Standing at the front of the car, looking at the grille and windshield, the fan turns clockwise.

Exactly!!! Positive or negative ground makes no difference.  The engine will turn clockwise as bloo states.

Yes, standing at the front it turns to the right or clockwise.  It just seems like it is running backwards.  I could be wrong.

If it is running backwards, what is the cause? What is the fix?  I have spark as well and new plugs.  Again any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

It can't actually run backwards, so that isn't happening. the camshaft would have to be made for the purpose.  it could "backfire" and run a round or 2 backwards but that IS IT. 

Look at the fan and see if it would be pulling air thru the radiator or pushing it forward.

Not likely that it will crank backwards unless you have a completely wrong starter.