AJ in the Great Race

George Cole

Yesterday we finished in 69th position for the day. So we’re gradually getting better each day. You definitely learn a lot every single time you go out. For example, I know I was not correctly compensating for the curves, which was contributing to us being consistently late. Also it’s taking me four calibration runs to get the speedometer to where I think it’s exactly right. He started off with it slow by almost an hour and a half an hour, and today I expected to be dead on. 

• Like 2

With 130 cars, usually spread out over four hotels, and over two hours of starting time, Every day I see another car that I didn’t notice before. There was a blue nova with cragars that I absolutely saw, but this white one is new to me. And it’s a stick!

B0042676-542D-4EE6-9776-44B358B7EDB0.jpeg

5BC1A63A-AD4B-4E61-AE55-680522A8CEAA.jpeg

• Like 3

AJ,

I'm amazed that you have the time to visit the Forum and to keep us posted..  Thank you/

Here is something to look up in the rules before you need to know it.  "How to file a time delay" .

You never know when you'll need it.

On the 1993 GAR I had the ESPN Camera in my back seat recording when a tractor pulling a hay bailer

pulled out in front of us on a super narrow road.   That footage made the one hour special on the race shown

on TV, complete with hillbilly music to make us look like hicks.   We measured the time we lost, got the numbers

of other cars effected and filed a time delay at the end of the day.   Got a decent score for that leg when they

adjusted our time delay.  

After the show was on TV, Dale Bell called me and said he saw the show and wanted me to navigate for him

in his 1935 Miller Ford Indy Racer the next year.   He said if I could keep my cool with that driver in that event

he needed me.   I stayed with the Airflow.  My rule is the Navigator is always right!

Keep reporting, it's like therapy for me.

Taxi1991.jpg.942926db9cdaa659c474318ddd803f9b.jpg

• Like 3

Congratulations.......There really is no substitute for experience and practice.  you and Tom are figuring this out.  And nailing it.  Thanks for keeping us posted, you must be crazy busy with this undertaking while keeping in contact with family/friends/life.  We appreciate the insight, photos, humor and chance to ride "virtually" with you on the race.

• Like 3

43 minutes ago, John Bloom said:

Yikes, that is a perspective of The Great Race that I really hadn’t given much thought to.   Be safe and I hope things are cooling as designed. 

Stupid me thought we were all on back roads from Rhode Island to North Dakota.  If I showed you some of the cars flying down that highway in that traffic it would blow your mind.

Imagine being on an 8 lane  Highway in a Nash metropolitan surrounded by tractor trailers.

• Like 3

33 minutes ago, alsancle said:

Stupid me thought we were all on back roads from Rhode Island to North Dakota.  If I showed you some of the cars flying down that highway in that traffic it would blow your mind.

Imagine being on an 8 lane  Highway in a Nash metropolitan surrounded by tractor trailers.

Me too.  I must be naive.  I thought "scenic root off the beaten path through quaint old towns"  You are giving lots of us an education.  

Official start times each day vary between 730, 8 o’clock, and 830.

The official start time, is not the start of the timed portion of the rally. That is somewhere else from the host hotel.

What happens is, at the check-in the night before when you get your score, you are given your random start position for the following day. For today we are position 104. So our start time from hotel is 9:14. 

That means that at exactly 8:14 I will be handed the days instructions. Typically I will take 20 minutes to update as much as I can, and we will leave 10 minutes early for the official start position. Once there I will continue updating the instructions. And I usually won’t finish all of them until lunch, but get enough done to cover the morning legs.  

Tire warm-up and speedometer calibration happen on the way to the starting point. So we are on a highway going 50 miles an hour for 20 to 30 minutes with a number of intermediate splits. After four different calibrations, I have the speedometer to within a second error per hour.

The crowd you see, are the racers waiting for their minute to pick up their instructions. Most are waiting there a few minutes ahead of time. Occasionally some people come up five minutes late. So are more casual than others.

95C948CA-061E-41EF-889F-AF58E2568BD1.jpeg

C4FB3C56-D54C-454C-B8EC-9B6584871785.jpeg

1E2BECBA-7EE1-4050-B67B-775356A5678C.jpeg

Edited by alsancle (see edit history)
  • Like 4

Seeing the above photos is giving me flashbacks……….to quantitive methods and statistics class. A time and place in my life when there was no joy…………and this is supposed to be fun? It seems to be right up there with having your wisdom teeth removed. Best of luck boys……..seems you have the hang of it now. 👍

• Like 4

12 hours ago, alsancle said:

1902DFFA-0638-4211-92D7-779A1FD84761.jpeg

The wonderful traffic going around the south side of Lake Michigan is always like that in the morning and evening rush hours of 7 am - 12 and 1 pm until 7 usually!   The speeds can still be anywhere from 2 mph to 70mph with traffic like that, it’s always been crazy. 
Have fun AJ the trip north will get more interesting than the south side of Chicago. 
dave s 

Having spent most of my 'highway' travel time between Philly and So. Fla traversing I-95, In my opinion travelling westward is somewhat easy. I have driven to Chicago a few times, taking the PA turnpike to Ohio, heading north towards South Bend etc. I was pleasantly surprised that to me it seemed like no one was on the road. Yes, Chi area is busy but the rest seemed like a walk in the park.  If you havent done so, try going from Bmore to Fredericksburg any morning of the week!!

AJ, I have been following the scores on the official website and congrats to you and Tom for making a steady rise in the standings. Keep up the good work! I have to agree with Ed though, looks like you are deeply engrossed in a geometry exam! 

That photo with the trucks had to be on a section of the race called a "Transit".   A off the clock section to move us into or around a city.

Instruction would say "30 minute Transit to cover 15 miles, allow 25 minutes"   Usually we drove 50 MPH or better due to traffic flow and

were always ready for a time delay.    Secondary roads into & thru cites always involve heavy traffic and many traffic lights, consequently

they used the Transit to get us in and out.

I have to be with Ed on this one. I can see where the challenge and competition would be fun for some and I think that's great if that's what you enjoy. I'm way too laid back for that sort of a challenge. The photos Ed posted just now cruising thru the forest or along the coast, left arm resting on the door sill, taking in the scenery, smelling the fresh air and making stops at my leisure.......................Ahhhhhh!!  I wish I was there instead of here in my office!!!

• Like 1

Thanks for posting your insights to this event.  So many of your rules and timekeeping methods were what I experienced in my off-road motorcycle competition events.  Your transit time was our short bursts of free time between sections of difficult terrain.

Imagine if Christopher Columbus thought a few hot laps around the harbor was all the excitement and adventure he desired in his life or the Wright brothers were content with a quick glide over a sand dune.  I give you a big 👍for taking on the challenge.

• Like 3

Bob, there is a handicap based on the year of the car. The year is based on the newest component in the car. Our handicap is .85, or something like that. So that gets multiplied into your time, it to reduce your time. I 1915 car would have a much better handicap than us.

Edited by alsancle (see edit history)
  • Like 2

I thought I read a blip within the last couple of years from the girls that are near the top right now (cant remember if theyre sisters or cousins). They are driving a 1932 Ford Coupe. Like AJ mentioned the earlier the car the greater the handicap. I think they said that a 1932 car is right at the sweet spot as far as the perfect car to compete in mechanically and for the handicap.

It does look like a lot of work, but I would enjoy doing this just as much as a controlled group cruise. 

I am laughing with a momentary delight myself!

"The Blues Brothers" was not my kind of movie. It had its moments, some neat interactions, and deep comedy beyond simple description. And I am very glad that I did watch the movie (way back when it was a big hit for most), just so I can appreciate its iconic social points.

For this "car" in this race? To take a non-qualifying modern car after the abuse of the "race" car knocks it out of the race? Paint it up and decorate it with the silly roof pieces? Just to finish out the contest "in style"? Fits right in with the "We're on a mission never say die" theme of the movie!

I love it!

Did I pass my "social awareness" understanding the movie quiz?

• Like 3

1 hour ago, alsancle said:

Bob, there is a handicap based on the year of the car. The year is based on the newest component in the car. Our handicap is .85, or something like that. So that gets multiplied into your time, it to reduce your time. I 1915 car would have a much better handicap than us.

Personally, I always thought your handicap was your personality. 😝

Edited by edinmass (see edit history)
  • Haha 2

Thanks AJ for your postings on this race.  It has been very exciting to follow your progress.  One quick question, I am going to be going to Duluth, MN tomorrow and wonder what time the cars will begin to arrive tomorrow afternoon/evening?  I look forward to seeing some of the cars I have seen in your postings.

Thanks, Tim

43 minutes ago, Oldsmobile 83 said:

Thanks AJ for your postings on this race.  It has been very exciting to follow your progress.  One quick question, I am going to be going to Duluth, MN tomorrow and wonder what time the cars will begin to arrive tomorrow afternoon/evening?  I look forward to seeing some of the cars I have seen in your postings.

Thanks, Tim

Hey Tim, I honestly have no idea. Typically the local towns have the schedule, or you can look on the Great Race website.