AJ in the Great Race

George Cole

AJ, Good luck to you and your team in the Great Race.  No doubt you're going to have a blast and will create a brand-new lifetime of memories.  I'm sure all AACA and CCCA members will be riding along with you in their hearts and minds.  Can you tell us about your entry?  Pictures?  Regards, George

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

I will third the thoughts. Hoping you guys have a great, safe adventure. Looking forward to hearing about it. I am pretty sure he said at one time that he was going to be doing a 'blog' (whatever that is) during the trip. If anyone knows where or how to find something to follow along pass it on.

• Like 1

Is there a road map that shows the actual route numbers for the race? In New York there is a stop in Wellsville that looks like RT 417 would be the path, but I don't find anything online to confirm it. I prefer traveling the secondary roads and highways and might enjoy taking the route out a couple of states later this summer.

38 minutes ago, 60FlatTop said:

Is there a road map that shows the actual route numbers for the race? In New York there is a stop in Wellsville that looks like RT 417 would be the path, but I don't find anything online to confirm it. I prefer traveling the secondary roads and highways and might enjoy taking the route out a couple of states later this summer.

https://www.greatrace.com

GR-2022-Home-Page-Graphic-Updated-1.jpg

• Like 1

I too was under the impression that the route is somewhat classified. It may be something that is given out the night before. I would surmise the best you could do as a spectator is to be in town during their lunch break or overnight stop. I am sure there will be some kind of fanfair. As far as watching them go down the road, you may need a bit of luck. 

Motorcycle Cannonball stopped in my area a few years ago. I found out they were stopping at the local HD dealer and took the day off to watch. It was fun and entertaining. 

• Like 1

Thank you, Bill. I am pretty good at finding the easy stuff.

I am planning a trip out the the ACD Museum and the Gilmore Museum in the next few weeks and thought it would be good to take the race route.

The route in unknpwn to the participants until one hour before the start each morning.   There are NO MAPS in the GAR, just written tun by turn onstructions and speeds.   The lunch, overnight and breaks are oganized by the local communitires and there is plenty of local hoopla for all of them.   That is the best place to see the event.   On arrival at the overnight stops there

is usually a "Park Fermme", (Car display into the evening.)   After that it's off to the Pits, usually at the host hotel parking lot.

On arrival each car and team is introduced and the scores for the day are announced.  Remember, low score wins.   There will be local kids selling Race Programs with each team pictured and introduced.    Most racers are very approachable and especially of they did well that day.  Their day had 4 - 6 legs, each scored separately.   A  "0"  (Zero) means a perfect leg score) which earms them a "ACE" award.   The most perfect or "0" scores also wins cash money and a ACE sticker for their car.  Be there for the arrival in the town you go to,  to see the arrival.   A lot of Hoopla, maybe you'll catch it.   It can be addictive.

Edited by Paul Dobbin
Added the No Maps line (see edit history)
  • Like 1

Thanks George!

Our phones are tucked in the trunk during the race, but before and after I’ll have my camera out and will be taking pictures for everyone. I’ll share my thoughts too. I’m just hoping we don’t want to kill each other after a day in the car.

The other day we spent three hours in the car, and both of us could barely walk when we got out. Getting old I guess.

• Like 5
  • Haha 2

I admire the patience, stamina, and those that can afford to participate. Never something I wanted to do. Have been on and helped run a Glidden tour 40 years ago when it was on long island and George and Margaret Vitale were the prime organizers for that , also drove up and back from long island to central NY in August heat for decades in my 1931 Franklin to spend a week on the Franklin Club tour ( ran that event too and usually helped with locations to visit) . And toured the UK in a 1947 Bentley Mk VI saloon with James Yong body for over a month ( and included runs of select local areas in a Stevens Duryea of 1904 ( Wales along the coast ) and along the top edge of the Brooklands race track in Surrey at a Brooklands Society reunion. .  My pleasurable motoring in a car with running boards is now done locally. Safe trip to all participants on the Great Race.

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, 1937hd45 said:

I think the Great Race is a bit like racing at Bonneville. Few people see it and "Winning" only matters to the ones that do. 

Bob 

Actually participating is what really matters and winning is a nice bonus.

• Like 3

AJ, already mentioned this to Tom but I suppose you should be warned.  We are planning to see you two at stop #1.  Maybe I will need to report on mutual dispositions of the participants after day one.  First leg  is really a hop skip and jump from RI to CT...

• Like 1

On 6/8/2022 at 3:28 PM, edinmass said:

Ask and you shall receive. Here they are..........video!

I think the title of that movie described the two people who paid to see it.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

12 hours ago, Bill Boudway said:

Yes, winning is nice, especially the $50,000.00 prize money and the huge Eagle trophy.

A friends team missed first last year by 20 seconds.

That should just cover the gas, maintenance and insurance this year.

41 minutes ago, alsancle said:

Winning the 50K might not cover the cost of one race,  given the amount of prep dollars and the overall cost of participating.  Maybe once  a car is dialed in and you use it every year the costs can can come down.

I once was told by a participant with an important car from San Diego years ago that’s it was a great way to spend 1M to win 50 K.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Most of the team have a support crew. but people drive to the evenant and drive home afterwards.    When we raced the 34 Ford, we towed it to the event and used the extra people for overnight maintenance in the pits.   The first few years in the Airflow we had a pit crew, the we took spare parts and I was the pit crew and navigator.   

The rules provide for disqualification if the support vehicle is seen in the race field during the day.   (All the support vehicles are maked with the Race Cars numbers)  They get their own driving instructions on a route away from the competition.    They left after we departed nd arrived in the evening before we did.   The Great Race provided a sweep vehicle behind the field of racers to pick up the days casualties.   The first cauusaly of the day got a new car off the sweep trailer and followed the sweep trailer picking up drivers and navigators of other casalties of the day.   Some days the last casualties were late night arrivals becasue the sweep trucks had to go back out.   We left nobody behind.

• Like 3

Very similar rules to the motorcycle endurance runs I competed in. Our support crews, if we were lucky enough to have someone to do that chore, we’re given instructions on where to meet us with gas, food, spare parts and whatever else we might need.  The club sponsoring the event had a general purpose support truck to at least carry your gas and drag your sorry butt home if you had a mechanical failure. The guy in the red jersey in the center of the picture is me. Photo was somewhere in the NJ Pine Barons.  

GO AJ!  I wish you well!

4AEE3F4A-63CB-4BA8-BCBF-E038909B0EF0.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I'm glad to see the event still drawing participants, although not stock as they were originally built cars.  Some of those cars were running the race way back in the 80's & 90's when I was participating.   Some with new owners, but still awsome to see.  

AJ is in a pre WWII  car, which I hope they have a class for now.