Coil for 1926 Buick

buickman26

I have a 1926 Model 27 Standard Buick. My question is what type of coil should I be replacing an old coil with. Would a regular tractor 6 volt coil work from a local tractor parts store or does the coil have to be more specific ???? Thank you  Mike

Any 6 V coil will work but don't you want the original look? You can have the original coil rewired but it's expensive. But it's worth it, I'd rather have the original coil than some rat-rod impersonation of reality. It's only money.

Any 6 volt coil will work.   This is the set up in my 1925 Buick.     

For the ignition coil, I have a modern coil stuffed way up in the cowl and covered with a satin black painted piece of sheet metal so that no one sees it.  I attached the coil bracket to a piece of 1" x 1/8” steel that is sandwiched behind the coil base.  The coil and bracket are from Bob's Automobilia.  I have wires on my original coil which sits lower, so everything looks original, but I have the modern coil running the show.  For the modern coil, I shaved back the cloth on the 9 mm spark plug wire to reveal the 7mm wire.  I then used a single 7 mm wire end to fit into the 7mm modern coil.  The wire conduit hides the cut off ends of the old coil wires.  I do like the look of the old coil on the fire wall.   Hugh

image.png.be62b863fe590542ff9d548fdcdc049e.pngimage.png.3726d82c6685d6f877bebb464ebf2c59.pngimage.png.59f11d763df4220e47a1a98aabdf52ca.png

• Like 1

On 6/7/2022 at 8:47 AM, Morgan Wright said:

Any 6 V coil will work but don't you want the original look? You can have the original coil rewired but it's expensive. But it's worth it, I'd rather have the original coil than some rat-rod impersonation of reality. It's only money.

What company will rewire an original coil?  Do you have a name or website you could share? 

Try Brillman Tractor Parts in Virginia.  I got the coil for my '16 Buick from them and it works like a charm.  I think it was around $35.00 plus the shipping.  It looks for all the world like what was on Chevrolet Sixes from the early 1930's through the middle 1950's.

Terry Wiegand

South Hutchinson, Kansas

AACA Life Member #947918

• Like 1

There are two types of 6V coils typically available 

One has an internal ballast resistor and will be marked as such on the coil. 

The other does not

If you maintain an external separate ballast resistor you will want to use the latter. 

You don’t want to run two resistors. Your voltage across the points and coil will be too low and the coil will not produce a high enough voltage. 

Edited by Brian_Heil (see edit history)
  • Like 2