Replica 1966 Batmobile - $9,000 (Bakersfield)

I suspect this is a scam due to the price, but it was just too cool looking not to share the pictures!

b1.jpg.2312435ffc82c6460e56417f568cd948.jpgb2.jpg.7a11540611f01d1c730d539ca39f29b6.jpgb3.jpg.6aafa9eb6bd816ee9f80995a920cea93.jpgb4.jpg.96cc19db81a60f6e7e44167a747f6208.jpgb5.jpg.f707c1a1837963a8abd65cae4d6cfdcf.jpgb6.jpg.e686fbb1fa2a65ff4314730948129fcc.jpgb7.jpg.c7d579696e8ef8964ab0a343392164cb.jpgb8.jpg.ab0075ec4c1b9d19c82079efd51ba14f.jpgb9.jpg.618095ec2540fb3e6f56e9cf61053e23.jpg

https://bakersfield.craigslist.org/cto/d/bakersfield-replica-1966-batmobile/7493311198.html

Hey all,

I've had this replica for about 8 years, been an absolute blast owning it, however, I'm moving across country soon and can't take her with me. Was purchased from a private party (contact me for more information regarding it's history), and is in perfect working condition. I drive it about once a month for charity events and the engine and transmission run great. Could use some new brake pads though as they wear through very quickly when chasing bad guys!

Asking only $9000 as the mileage is rather high (109,310), but as mentioned before, runs smoothly and have had very little serious maintenance required. There are no scratches on it and was kept in a garage for its entire life, but there is some wear on the underside of the vehicle (as to be expected from a vehicle that is driven somewhat frequently).

For more information, please text/call me, it's priced to sell, sorry if I don't immediately answer your call immediately as I'm in the process of moving, so leave a message or a text if interested. Please don't contact through email as I always receive a lot of spam from craigslist listings.

Cheers!
Joshua (661) 549-6193

Corny, but other than the first 2 original serials, the 'Adam West era' Batman is my favorite. And by far the best Batmobile. Agree, that this looks like its too good to be true. I have seen those replicas with stupidly high asking prices. Maybe this is what they are really worth. Looks to be fairly accurate but I didnt see what the base car was. All of that said, if it was listed for $500 I would still not buy it.

2 hours ago, TAKerry said:

And by far the best Batmobile. 

Totally!

I would drive it every day Kerry.  Probably cruise around Griffith Park just for nostalgia's sake. 😄

Adam West used to frequent a restaurant just a few doors north of my place.  Very nice guy, very approachable. 

Often greeted people with the phrase "Hello citizen".  The voice was unmistakable. 

12WEST3-sub-obit-articleLarge.jpg.e2cfdb58ce3d3b24ac42b70032087663.jpg

3 minutes ago, neil morse said:

Pretty sure this is a scam.  Here's the same car offered by Mecum:

https://www.mecum.com/lots/FL0122-487450/1977-lincoln-batmobile-replica/

Im not sure it is. Different motor and the mecum car has signatures below the bubble light. I have seen a few of these cars over the years, some done better than others. I think there may have been a guy/company that was building them in limited numbers. 

Good point about the different engine -- I didn't look closely enough.  I was relying on the fact that the car I found online has the same "Gotham" license plate number, as well as the all the same interior details.  According to the site below that has the same car as the Mecum site for sale, it has an "estimated value of between $300,000 – $350,000 USD."  So the $9K price seems questionable.

https://silodrome.com/batmobile-propane-flame-exhaust/

Edit: Upon further review, I agree with @TAKerry.  The car I found online appears to be a different car -- different engine, different seat belts, no autographs, as has been pointed out.  I had no idea that someone was turning nearly identical versions out!  However, the price on the Craig's List car still seems very suspicious to me.

Edited by neil morse (see edit history)

$300-350K sounds like the real scam for a 1977 reproduction.   I would think the original might bring somewhere around that figure.

Okay, now we're getting somewhere.  The photos from the above article from 2014 are without question the same photos used in the craig's list ad.  Can we now agree that this is a scam?  Other red flags to me: He says that he may not respond because he's "in the process of moving."  Also, the mileage of 101,310 seems odd for a car in such great condition (at least as shown in photos from 2014).   And it's only driven once a month in "charity events."  Sorry, but I agree with what @GregLaR said in the opening post -- something ain't right here.

• Like 3

12 hours ago, ak said:

When you see "cheers" at the end, it's a scam.

I had it pegged as a scam from the first glance. I mean, even I would consider buying that for nine grand, and I am not really into things like that. Coupled with some of the silly bragging that I found unbelievable.

But I never thought about that "Cheers" thing. Thank you ak for pointing that out.

A lot of things about people in this world I don't think I will ever understand. I get it that a lot of easy money is made in this world by people pulling scams of all kinds. However, the whole lack of civic pride, that any people or nation could sit by while their countrymen lie and cheat other people around the world. I have read that Nigeria makes more money through internet scams than by almost any legitimate business. As one of the poorest nations in the world, it sort of makes sense to overlook one's neighbors steeling money and boosting the local economy. I have also read that England is another of the nations where huge numbers of scams originate. I find it difficult to accept that a nation such as England could sit idly by and watch their honor sullied by such behavior.

Pride may be one of the seven deadly sins? But it isn't always a bad thing.

I can't help but wonder if the whole listing wasn't some personal grudge joke? Google didn't help much with the phone number. However it apparently is a Bakersfield area number. I suppose one could call the number? But if it is a nasty joke, I don't want to add to it.

Regardless, an interesting ad to look at!