1928 Chrysler series 72 convertible coupe

31 LaSalle

was checking some parts which came with my chrysler ,

and came across a brass Stromberg carburettor number m2  973684

as my car has a new zenith carb on I was wondering if the Stromberg was the original from 1928

I do not intend to use it as it has parts missing I am just curious as to why its made of brass

and not cast iron or white metal like other manufacturers

Most early carbs were made of brass, although a few manufacturers offered aluminum as a higher cost option for racing.

Carburetors were made from aluminum, brass, cast iron, and zinc alloy in the 1920's and newer.

There were some brass carbs still being made as late as WWII.

I believe the last carburetor with all cast iron castings was made in the 1970's.

The Stromberg M-2 was used on a few cars, lots of trucks, quite a few industrial applications, but Chrysler did not use it in 1928 on passenger vehicles.

Jon

Edited by carbking (see edit history)
  • Thanks 1

has this carb any value it has some bits missing

On 6/6/2022 at 12:41 PM, carbking said:

Most early carbs were made of brass, although a few manufacturers offered aluminum as a higher cost option for racing.

Carburetors were made from aluminum, brass, cast iron, and zinc alloy in the 1920's and newer.

There were some brass carbs still being made as late as WWII.

I believe the last carburetor with all cast iron castings was made in the 1970's.

The Stromberg M-2 was used on a few cars, lots of trucks, quite a few industrial applications, but Chrysler did not use it in 1928 on passenger vehicles.

Jon

Almost any old carb has some value.

With the M-2, it would depend on which pieces are missing, and especially the condition of the float.

As to demand: I have sold two complete ones in the last 45 years.

Bowl cover cap, float, throttle lever, choke lever, and complete choke wire retainer would all have some value.

Jon.