dip stick needed 1989

I would take your broken dipstick to a local you pick and walk the yard looking for one. Then when you find a matching one slide yours in to protect the engine walk up to the counter and pay for it. There has to be a number of Buicks, Olds, Pontiacs out there that will work. 

Errr sorta. "distributorless wasted spark ignition system was added for all engines produced in 1986 and later. In 1986, it received sequential fuel injection (SFI) and it was initially produced in two forms, the LG2 (VIN B with flat lifters (tappets), and the LG3 (Vin 3) with a roller camshaft and lifters. ". LN3 (VIN C) was 1988. It is all in the VIN code.

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, DAVES89 said:

I would take your broken dipstick to a local you pick and walk the yard looking for one. Then when you find a matching one slide yours in to protect the engine walk up to the counter and pay for it. There has to be a number of Buicks, Olds, Pontiacs out there that will work. i found two same engine cars also with broken dipsticks.

i did that.checked the whole yard.

Edited by handmedownreatta (see edit history)

The only reason I mentioned the difference between earlier and the 3800 is the cylinder block is slightly longer than the previous 3.8’s because the cylinder offset was changed to center the cylinder on the crank throw. That in itself would likely have no impact on the length unless mounted differently.