For Sale: 1953 Chrysler Windsor - "Excellent condition" - "Original EVERYTHING" - Schenectady, NY - Not Mine - 6/14 SOLD!

For sale on Craigslist and OfferUp: 1953 Chrysler Windsor 2-door Sedan in Schenectady, NY  -  $19,000  -  Call Phil: 518 334 04 four two

Link to Craigslist ad: https://albany.craigslist.org/cto/d/1953-chrysler-windsor-excellent/7486688793.html

Link to OfferUp ad: https://offerup.com/item/detail/1407572279/1953-Chrysler-Windsor

Seller's Description:

1953 Chrysler Windsor 2-door Sedan

• condition: like new
  • odometer: 36,817
  • transmission: automatic
  • title status: clean

I have a 1953 Chrysler Windsor that belonged to my father-in-law's father. It is in excellent condition with 36,817 miles. Only 2 owners - original EVERYTHING - rare find in this condition!  Only blemish is a minor slit in driver side seat. asking 19k or best offer

Link to additional pictures: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/pv7bt3nyw7wy8l5/AACkzWQeGWDsfPF5s5jOcFrxa?dl=0

image.png.afee469d599e194cbdc7e7698936f0ba.png

image.png.301deae8aa7eec013e3f8d1ce4d9d69c.png

image.png.d65706421c1851012d4cdfbc8f05b120.png

image.png.c58e04c4ebb0100276f70ae565ab1bf5.png

image.png.21d38278b10db96574f4086afd9a8fd2.png

Edited by 6T-FinSeeker
update status (see edit history)
  • Like 1

It's a 2-door. I don't know if it's worth 19 grand ( I have my doubts) but it's in remarkably good condition. These have a lot of die-cast trim everywhere especially on the front clip and there are very few around with trim this nice. It says original EVERYTHING and if that's true this Windsor is extremely well preserved. 

• Like 3

It's not upholstery.  Those are period seat covers that some owners used to have the dealer install when the car was brand new.  The question is what's under the seat covers.  It's possible that the original fabric is perfectly preserved.

This looks like another great MoPar, but the seller has a very distorted view of its value.  When reality sinks in, he might end up letting it go for about half of what he's asking, which would be a fair price.  It's too bad there aren't more photos.  It would be nice to see the dash and the engine.

• Like 3

All things considered....it resides in a heated garage. It appears to be well maintained.  $19k is not that outlandish for a car that certainly appears turn key ready to enjoy the day it goes home with a new owner. I suspect there is room for some negotiating. 

• Like 2

Chances are the original upholstery is like new. Hard to tell as the covers are hog ringed in place. I like the steel gray, and the plaid covers. I would probably leave them in place if I were to buy it, and let the next guy wonder what lies beneath.

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, supercub said:

Chances are the original upholstery is like new. Hard to tell as the covers are hog ringed in place. I like the steel gray, and the plaid covers. I would probably leave them in place if I were to buy it, and let the next guy wonder what lies beneath.

No issue with leaving them, but the car's value is quite different depending on what's underneath.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Peter S said:

Love that upholstery! I know the pattern is plaid, but is there a name for that type of seatcover?

Peter Sefton

Yes, Saran wrap! No, really, the same people that brought you Saran wrap started out making seat covers under that name -- minus the "wrap". There were others as well, most likely. At that price, the issue is moot for me, but I think that after looking the car over closely, I could probably believe that the seats are mint underneath. But would I stand around at a car show and try to convince you guys? Probably not. Maybe I would just say that they are recently installed NORS.

• Like 2

Come on guys.  Put yourself in seller's shoes.   Y'ALL want him to start at $5K ?   You are stupid to expect that.  He can't go up if he does that.

He is OFFERING the car with a starting price and THEN SAYS  OR BEST OFFER.    He will meet a buyer somewhere in between.

Avgwarhawk is realistic.

Rest of you:

Get real.

I have a '52 Saratoga coupe in my garage with near same mileage but not as nice chrome.  Paint pretty nice.  Granted it has a Hemi as a 'Toga and this Windsor has the flat six (an outstanding engine in its own right.   I paid very similar and I made the deal over the phone with zero hesitation, then took a deposit to the seller's wife (as car was not far away) and completed balance when bank opened.   

• Like 3

Everyone on here would buy a car at a good price and resell for a profit. If they did not want to keep it. We all do the buyer/seller tango. Sellers want the most, buyers want the least. Market value will always come into play. You are all right, just depends on the angle you are coming from.

• Like 2

I wouldn't touch those seat covers. They are period correct and would go well with a plaid picnic basket. We all know good things were inside plaid picnic baskets. I can taste the fried chicken now.

6 cylinder or V-8 wouldn't matter as these cars aren't going to be run hard anyway. Doing so would be a disservice to the car and the owner would just look like an idiot for doing so. 

• Like 2

• 6T-FinSeeker changed the title to For Sale: 1953 Chrysler Windsor - "Excellent condition" - "Original EVERYTHING" - Schenectady, NY - Not Mine - 6/14 SOLD!
On 6/3/2022 at 5:43 AM, neil morse said:

It's not upholstery.  Those are period seat covers that some owners used to have the dealer install when the car was brand new.  The question is what's under the seat covers.  It's possible that the original fabric is perfectly preserved.

This looks like another great MoPar, but the seller has a very distorted view of its value.  When reality sinks in, he might end up letting it go for about half of what he's asking, which would be a fair price.  It's too bad there aren't more photos.  It would be nice to see the dash and the engine.

I have an all original 53 Plymouth with same applied seat covers in red plaid vinyl. I have not attempted to remove them to see what is under it.  Just a simple 53 Plymouth cranbrook 4 door so I doubt anything special