1991 Buick Riviera digital dash temperature gauge disappears

Autry

I'm thinking it involves one of the very early digital dashes and the temp gauge simply goes away and is no longer displayed on the digital dash.

dash.jpg

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, DAVES89 said:

Don't waste your time. He was down on the Reatta site... 

I'll have to disagree:  We always help fellow car fans.

Looking at his postings, I see he was referred to the

Reatta category by someone in the Riviera category,

since those cars are similar.  He got a somewhat helpful

answer but one that contained jargon.

There, he explained that the digital temperature display

disappears from his dashboard for an unknown reason.

Ive never seen one, but looking at the above pic, looks like they are backlit, Light bulb burnt out???????

About a year after I got my ML320 the clock went out. I went to the dealer and they said a bulb failed. Whole dash had to be taken apart to replace. Needless to say I used my wrist chronograph!

23 minutes ago, John_S_in_Penna said:

I'll have to disagree:  We always help fellow car fans.

Looking at his postings, I see he was referred to the

Reatta category by someone in the Riviera category,

since those cars are similar.  He got a somewhat helpful

answer but one that contained jargon.

There, he explained that the digital temperature display

disappears from his dashboard for an unknown reason.

To his credit he did a search. One of his searches was 15 comments  the other 47 and most offering good advice and how to. He has not commented on what his attempts were but has now moved to a different place on the forum and asked again. 

There was an attempt to help and I suggest that before you do a blanket statement that we are all here to help [we are] please read what he read to know that the information he needed was there.

Edited by DAVES89 (see edit history)

33 minutes ago, DAVES89 said:

...the information he needed was there.

Dave, with your Reatta experience, you have the

ideal background.  For our own edification, can you

quote the information that would solve the problem?

Are the 1990-1993 Rivieras (after the deletion of the

cathode ray tube in the dash) still prone to electrical gremlins?

They certainly are attractive cars.

The early Reattas/Rivs have bullet proof Instrument clusters, but yes not so much the touch screen. The later Rivs/Reattas Instrument cluster is a weak spot and yes rebuilt ones are available. He can find venders on the top of the Reatta page.

The temperature display is an easy fix as they also don't go bad and just need to be cleaned. There are explicit instructions on the "Reatta Owners Journal" website. There is a tab on the top of the page and will open all sorts of "How to" and instructions on removal and reinstall of most components including the temperature control display and Instrument Cluster.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, nickelroadster said:

You should be a little more specific about what you are looking for.  Did your gauge get stolen or does it not work any more and you need a new one?

The digital dash temp gauge has 1 line then 2 then 3 when cranking in morning and goes to the middle of  c(cold) and h(hot). But when it's hot 88 degrees or above while driving the lines dissappear not the c or h then when I c this I stop the the car and turn the key to the on position for 5 to 10min and hear the radiator fan blowing fast thinking the car is running hot but no coolant loss in radiator and I've changed the temp sensor and thermostat it goes into a fail safe mode the speed thermometer, battery,oil,etc,lines are still there but the temp gauge lines dissappear and the cold and hot remain but u don't know what the temperature gauge reading is hot or cold no lines 

2 minutes ago, Autry said:

The digital dash temp gauge has 1 line then 2 then 3 when cranking in morning and goes to the middle of  c(cold) and h(hot). But when it's hot 88 degrees or above while driving the lines dissappear not the c or h then when I c this I stop the the car and turn the key to the on position for 5 to 10min and hear the radiator fan blowing fast thinking the car is running hot but no coolant loss in radiator and I've changed the temp sensor and thermostat it goes into a fail safe mode the speed thermometer, battery,oil,etc,lines are still there but the temp gauge lines dissappear and the cold and hot remain but u don't know what the temperature gauge reading is hot or cold no lines 

On 6/1/2022 at 11:57 PM, zepher said:

I'm thinking it involves one of the very early digital dashes and the temp gauge simply goes away and is no longer displayed on the digital dash.

dash.jpg

This is my dash and the temperature gauge disappears just the lines not the c or h that line that reaches in the middle between c or h only when car reaches normal temperature while driving then I pull over and turn the car off for 5min or 10min with the key in on position and I her the radiator fan loud as if it's running hot but not I changed the temp sensor and thermostat still dissappear just temp gauge

dash.jpg

That's correct zepher I changed the thermostat and temp sensor the lines dissappear on temp gauge and shuts ac off I don't understand it started a month ago when my girlfriend and I were on instate and heard clicking noise behind the dash glove box on passenger side and gets louder when accelerating but sometimes it don't do it

12 hours ago, DAVES89 said:

The early Reattas/Rivs have bullet proof Instrument clusters, but yes not so much the touch screen. The later Rivs/Reattas Instrument cluster is a weak spot and yes rebuilt ones are available. He can find venders on the top of the Reatta page.

The temperature display is an easy fix as they also don't go bad and just need to be cleaned. There are explicit instructions on the "Reatta Owners Journal" website. There is a tab on the top of the page and will open all sorts of "How to" and instructions on removal and reinstall of most components including the temperature control display and Instrument Cluster.

It started a month ago when my girlfriend and I were on interstate and we heard loud clicking noise behind the glove box on passenger side I move the metal rod to left for cold and to the right for heat and I c a computer with wires I don't understand it affects my temperature gauge on dash maybe

16 hours ago, DAVES89 said:

Don't waste your time. He was down on the Reatta site asks the same no information questions and only wants answers and doesn't appear to want to learn.

I'm not a mechanic but I did have the temperature sensor and thermostat change and the line readings dissappears and no reading if car temperature level is in the middle so I pull over and turn car off then turn the key to the on position not cranking it and you hear fans come on loud like the car is running hot but radiator is full of coolant and no smoke from motor and 10min later I see the lines on temp gauge reappears so I crank it up and start driving and the turn ac on and temp gauge lines dissappear never saw nothing like this it started a month ago when my girlfriend and I were on the interstate and I heard a loud clicking noise behind glove box on passenger side for 1991 Buick Riviera

Edited by Autry (see edit history)

Still not sure what you are asking, but if the air conditioner is on both fans [puller and pusher] on the radiator will run so that part sounds good. The car is designed to run with [I believe] between 190-210 with a 205 degree thermostat. I installed a 185 degree thermostat with a wiring modification for my fans to run all the time and on high [I do this to keep my car running cooler]. So if you are not overheating you are probably good. 

Still not sure what you mean by "lines" and can't check it on my car as my 1990 is 1600 miles away in Texas.

If you are concerned about what your temperature is maybe install a water temperature gauge with a remote mount.

Okay I went back and looked at the post by Zephyr that had a picture of the IPC [Instrument Panel Cluster]. There are "lines" as stated by Jim Skelly and what I will call "Blocks" which are an indication of the actual temperature. If it is the "lines" [which are an indication of temperature]  that are gone that is interesting, as to why they disappear and not the 'lines" on the other gauges. However if the "blocks" are at just the top you are running a good temperature. You could go one maybe two "blocks"  past the top but no further. Going two "blocks" past the top  would indicate to me that you have a mechanical issue that needs to be looked at.

One other thought regarding the "lines" missing.  The IPC is only a reflection [RPM, Speed, Water temp, Oil Pressure, etc.] of what the computers tell it. It does not tell the "lines" to illuminate. Their failure to illuminate in my opinion is more an indication of a failure of some sorts with your IPC.

7 hours ago, DAVES89 said:

Okay I went back and looked at the post by Zephyr that had a picture of the IPC [Instrument Panel Cluster]. There are "lines" as stated by Jim Skelly and what I will call "Blocks" which are an indication of the actual temperature. If it is the "lines" [which are an indication of temperature]  that are gone that is interesting, as to why they disappear and not the 'lines" on the other gauges. However if the "blocks" are at just the top you are running a good temperature. You could go one maybe two "blocks"  past the top but no further. Going two "blocks" past the top  would indicate to me that you have a mechanical issue that needs to be looked at.

One other thought regarding the "lines" missing.  The IPC is only a reflection [RPM, Speed, Water temp, Oil Pressure, etc.] of what the computers tell it. It does not tell the "lines" to illuminate. Their failure to illuminate in my opinion is more an indication of a failure of some sorts with your IPC.

That's what I'm referring to the blocks that appears to tell you your cars temperature dissappears in morning while car has set all night the temperature gauge works fine but when it gets hot outside the temperature gauge blocks disappears my temp display is exactly like above

10 hours ago, DAVES89 said:

Still not sure what you are asking, but if the air conditioner is on both fans [puller and pusher] on the radiator will run so that part sounds good. The car is designed to run with [I believe] between 190-210 with a 205 degree thermostat. I installed a 185 degree thermostat with a wiring modification for my fans to run all the time and on high [I do this to keep my car running cooler]. So if you are not overheating you are probably good. 

Still not sure what you mean by "lines" and can't check it on my car as my 1990 is 1600 miles away in Texas.

If you are concerned about what your temperature is maybe install a water temperature gauge with a remote mount.

The blocks that shows u the car temp reading whether it is running hot or not.The blocks disappears all the other gauges oil, battery etc works good my dash is just like  Zepher's

9 hours ago, Jim Skelly said:

I think "lines" is referring to the digital bars that display on the perimeter of each gauge.

That's correct all gauges bars shows but the temp gauge bars disappears and if u have ac on it shuts the ac off because the temp gauge digital bars disappears 

My '89 Riviera has the digital cluster, but I'm inclined to think it's the gauge or gauge cluster itself as indicated by Daves89.  What does the Service Manual say about such a problem?  Maybe the circuit board to the cluster is flaking out?

There is no brain in the IPC. It just reflects what the ECM [Electronic Control Module] or BCM [Body Control Module] tells it. I would look at one or the other [ECM/BCM] as going bad. I have never heard of this issue before. Methinks you should head back to the Reatta forum and ask Padgett

• Like 1

10 hours ago, DAVES89 said:

There is no brain in the IPC. It just reflects what the ECM [Electronic Control Module] or BCM [Body Control Module] tells it. I would look at one or the other [ECM/BCM] as going bad. I have never heard of this issue before. Methinks you should head back to the Reatta forum and ask Padgett

Yes Dave my mechanic told me the wire that goes to the ecm was shorten out the the digital bars on temp gauge so I'm ordering a ecm to c if that works thks

dash.jpg

The exact display on my car the 5 bars on the temperature gauge disappears when the car reaches normal driving temperature which is in the middle. All other gauges work fine I've changed the temp sensor and thermostat twice

Preface: I know nothing about this particular digital dash design.  However, based on your description of the symptom, I would suspect an issue with the temperature display itself.  It sounds as though it works fine until the last segment is turned-on, then it goes blank.  It may be that the 'normal' temperature segment is shorted, or open and that extinguishes the entire chain.  Have you tried turning the ignition ON again (engine OFF) after the car sits for awhile (maybe 20 minutes or so) and cools down a bit (but not completely).  Then does the gauge work again?

On 6/8/2022 at 8:21 AM, EmTee said:

Preface: I know nothing about this particular digital dash design.  However, based on your description of the symptom, I would suspect an issue with the temperature display itself.  It sounds as though it works fine until the last segment is turned-on, then it goes blank.  It may be that the 'normal' temperature segment is shorted, or open and that extinguishes the entire chain.  Have you tried turning the ignition ON again (engine OFF) after the car sits for awhile (maybe 20 minutes or so) and cools down a bit (but not completely).  Then does the gauge work again?

Yes after 20min it reappears the bars which tells what the temperature is you're right on point but when I crank it and drive while motor is warm the bars disappears until I turn it off and let it sits never seen nothing like this but I ordered a ecm 

• Thanks 1