Tire pressure.

1wonton

Can someone direct me to a reliable source for finding the correct tire pressure for 750-18 tires?  Seller says 36# but provides no reference and this seems too low.  Can't seem to find a chart for bias-ply tires.

13 minutes ago, 1wonton said:

Yes, thank you, not all tires have this recommendation.

I think they do. Although it is probably maximum, along with maximum weight. Correct pressure will depend on weight carried, up to max weight max pressure.  I run about 32 in the 235/75R 15s on mi 4100 lb car.

Ben

1 hour ago, Mark Shaw said:

Recommended pressures are usually in raised letters on the tires.

The pressure on the tire is max, not recommended. The recommended pressure will vary by application.

The tire pressure on these Bedford tires is not stated on the tire.  Just wanted to know of a source of general tire inflation figures, surely there must be a chart somewhere.  I have 45# in my 750-18, is this too much?

I would think 45 psi is too high.  That would give a hard ride and result in excessive wear in the centre of the tread.

Couldn't find 7.50-18 specifically, but did find 7.10-15 recommended pressure of 26 psi front and 24 psi rear.

How old are these tires?  What is the date code?

My knee jerk reaction is nothing less than 45 pounds, and I would not be tempted to compare a 15 inch bias tire with an 18 inch one at the same width. An 18 inch tire at 7.5 inches of section width is probably on a big and heavy car. Too much pressure will at worst will cause faster tire wear at the center of the tread. Too little pressure will cause tire failure.

I would say post the make, model, and year and then get @edinmass in the thread.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Bloo said:

My knee jerk reaction is nothing less than 45 pounds, and I would not be tempted to compare a 15 inch bias tire with an 18 inch one at the same width. An 18 inch tire at 7.5 inches of section width is probably on a big and heavy car. Too much pressure will at worst will cause faster tire wear at the center of the tread. Too little pressure will cause tire failure.

I would say post the make, model, and year and then get @edinmass in the thread.

I've been running 42 psi in the Bedford 700x18s on my 1930 Pierce for 20 years and 8,000 miles and have no adverse tread wear issues.  Given their age, every year I jack the car up and slowly rotate each wheel, looking for sidewall cracks and other problems, and have found none to date.  I'm delighted with the performance and tread wear on these and on the Bedford 700x17s on my 1934 Pierce which are 7 years newer but have 11,000 miles on them, and which I keep at 42 psi as well.  I have utterly no association with either that manufacturer or their sales agency.

• Like 2

45 front, 40 rear.  Nothing under 40 in the front ever.  Check your pressures often…….they seep, but still look ok.

Lester, Firestone, Bedfords………all the same.

Edited by edinmass (see edit history)
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1