69 Electra, Electrical Problem

Guest john740

Guest john740

The entire electrical system on my 69 Electra (headlights, radio, dash, accessories), will cut out when the car is under acceleration. At the same time, the alternator light also comes on at full intensity. Let off on the throttle, everything comes back on and the alternator light will go out. Same thing happens when the transmission is put in drive or reverse while the engine is cold and on high idle. Put it in neutral and the electrical system comes back on. This also happens intermittently when going ove a bump.<BR> We checked the battery cable to the starter and the fusable link wiring. This appeard to be ok and all the connections are tight.<BR> Any ideas?<BR>John Marriott BCA #37206

I think your problem is in the charging system - either the alternator or the voltage regulator. If there are no obviously loose or bad connections, I think your problem is in the voltage regulator, possibly the relays in it- check the contacts.<BR>Let us know what you find.

I think its probaly the ground from the engine to body or frame, when the engine torques it some how disconnets or ungrounds.<BR>I had this on a 72 Pontiac once and a braded cable from intake bolt to firewall cured it. smile.gif" border="0

Guest john740

Thanks for the advise. Found the problem; a loose gorund connection to the engine block. I am going to install a braided ground connection to the chassis or firewall.