Wire rim id

ssl78

I picked up some parts that are supposed to be from Auburns, Plymouths, Hudsons from the 30s and 40s. I need some help identifying. I will list a few in a couple of posts since combing parts is not allowed.

Rims I can not seem to find any others with out lug nut holes

DSC07453.JPG

DSC07454.JPG

DSC07455.JPG

DSC07456.JPG

DSC07457.JPG

• Like 1

They are Dayton wire wheels,often called Dayton Dentals since the drive lugs look like teeth. They are held on by a screw-on hubcap,on race cars the hubcap had wings or tits that could be knocked on and off quickly with a hammer of sorts.

• Like 1

As @sagefindssays, they are what is known as Dayton dental drives and look to be #30, which is how Dayton dental drives are 'sized', I believe most commonly used on Auburns. Each corner of a car requires 3 main components, those being a hub, a wheel, and a knockoff nut. Each hub is specifically left or right and front or rear, so all unique to each corner. Nuts are either left or right. Wheels are all same. 

Again, as @sagefindssays, often OE quickchange wheel installation was accompanied by a hex nut, but the Auburns are one of the exceptions, using a 2-eared nut for that application. Attached picture shows toothed hubs and 2-eared Auburn nuts. 

Screenshot_20220601-175720~2.png

Edited by DCarter (see edit history)
  • Like 1

As someone who has pieced together a few sets of Dayton #10 and Buffalo #3 and #4 knockoff wheels/hubs/nuts, I'd have to think there's someone out there who'd be interested, even just for spares. I even bought some lock ring #30 Daytons just for the hoops and lock rings, thinking I might could use them with my #10 centers, as the spoke count and lacing pattern is the same. Haven't tested that theory yet. 

I'd try the Auburn folks first, as that's your most likely source of interested parties. Racecar folks could be another possibility, though #10 Daytons were the common size there.

• Like 1