Where can one source replacement motometer parts for Packard?

Flivver guy

I am on the hunt for a replacement thermometer for the moto meter on my 28 Packard. I have tried Restoration Supply but the one they sell has a large thread diameter and does not have the notch that fits into the cap.

Any ideas would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Gary

Are you looking for a replacement thermometer to go inside your Motometer? Or the whole Motometer? Replacement thermometers had been difficult to source for a few years. But it has been a few years since I tried to get one. The last time I actually repaired a large size Motometer about fifteen years ago, I had to buy a special replacement for a jumbo Ford Quail (which had an exposed thermometer!) which was prone to being broken. It came ready-mounted in a special replacement brass holder. I had to VERY CAREFULLY cut the brass piece off of the glass thermometer without breaking the glass thermometer! After which, I was able to install that glass thermometer into my large Motometer that had an already broken thermometer in it. Fun.

I don't know if those are still available or not? 

Your mentioning the notch to fit the radiator cap makes me think it is the whole Motometer? Some Packards I have seen required that notch which most Motometers do not have. If it is what I am thinking of? One should be able to carefully cut the notch in the base of the Motometer with a Dremel Tool or other similar methods.

• Like 1

If I remember correctly you said the thermometer had the red all through the thermometer.  I think there are methods to try to get it back down in the bulb.  Chilling it was one, spinning it was another.

• Like 1

Send photos please. The Packard motometers are not terribly rare. It might he possible to find a better one.

Terry

• Like 1

I strapped the moto meter onto the rear wheel of my model T, jacked up the rear and put the car in high. It took about 5 minutes and the fluid was back down where it belonged. I then put it in the freezer and the fluid went all the way down. Took it out and warmed it and the fluid went up. She seems to be working as she should now.

Thanks,

Gary

• Like 8

• 1 year later...

If no one answers specifically you may need to think outside the box. In that case I'd suggest considering those who replace glass for carriage clocks or barometers as most of these glasses are beveled and small. I have looked at a number of professionals offering this service but have not yet used any (but do have two projects I'll need help on soon). I found this ad online but have no affiliation or testimony but it seems pretty convincing. You'd probably have to send the bezel to be fitted....https://www.brueningglass.com/tag/beveled-glass-for-clock/ 

Been quite awhile since I bought anything from them. So I don't know if they still have those pieces or not. But you could try Restoration Supply company in Sothern California.

https://restorationstuff.com/

Good people.

Most of the basic parts are interchangeable across many Motometers. "Almost" any senior size glass should fit a Packard Motometer. Lots of broken Motometers around with maybe one good glass that should fit fine. Packard Motometers are usually one of the largest size ones, and actually fairly common. I repaired a fair number of Motometers years ago, and at one time had a few extra glasses of both the senior and junior sizes. I still have a couple Motometers to maybe repair, and don't think I have any extra glasses left. I swapped them around several times (senior and junior sizes do NOT interchange!) and never had a senior glass that didn't fit another senior meter. However, there were a few very rare special meters that required special glasses, and some special models that used no glasses (note, early and base model truck and tractor meters also often used no glasses.)

• Like 2

On 11/30/2023 at 6:24 AM, wayne sheldon said:

Been quite awhile since I bought anything from them. So I don't know if they still have those pieces or not. But you could try Restoration Supply company in Sothern California.

https://restorationstuff.com/

Good people.

Most of the basic parts are interchangeable across many Motometers. "Almost" any senior size glass should fit a Packard Motometer. Lots of broken Motometers around with maybe one good glass that should fit fine. Packard Motometers are usually one of the largest size ones, and actually fairly common. I repaired a fair number of Motometers years ago, and at one time had a few extra glasses of both the senior and junior sizes. I still have a couple Motometers to maybe repair, and don't think I have any extra glasses left. I swapped them around several times (senior and junior sizes do NOT interchange!) and never had a senior glass that didn't fit another senior meter. However, there were a few very rare special meters that required special glasses, and some special models that used no glasses (note, early and base model truck and tractor meters also often used no glasses.)

it's on p. 62 of the pdf file of their catalog; a kit includes 2 lenses, screws, 2 gaskets

• 2 weeks later...