Road Trip to the Northeast Classic Car Museum in Norwich, NY

Machine Gun

Last year I read about the trip that EmTee, JohnD1956, and KAD36 made to the museum. I threatened to make a trip up there myself, and I'm now prepared to make good on that threat. Any of you guys up for a return trip? Anyone else here on the forums interested in meeting up there?

• Like 1

Count me in!  The last time when John, Ken & I went the museum was working on a new addition that should be open by now.  It's a nice collection and particularly interesting if you like Franklins.

Museum Link: https://classiccarmuseum.org/

When are you thinking of making the trip?  Note that the Hemmings Great Race will be spending the night in Binghamton on June 19.  I don't know if there's interest in trying to do the museum and then going to check out the Great Race participants... 

Edited by EmTee (see edit history)
  • Like 1

20 hours ago, JohnD1956 said:

I would love to go back but I  can't go anytime soon due to other reasons that preclude any travel this year.  Hope you can still get there. Its a great collection. 

Very sorry to hear that you won't be traveling this year. We'll hopefully get to meet sooner or later. I hope all is well.

Jim

9 hours ago, EmTee said:

When are you thinking of making the trip?  Note that the Hemmings Great Race will be spending the night in Binghamton on June 19.  I don't know if there's interest in trying to do the museum and then going to check out the Great Race participants... 

I'd love to make a side trip to the Binghamton area, but June 19 is Father's Day so I'll be staying home that day. Otherwise I'm quite flexible because I'm retired, and so I can do a weekend or weekday. Except for a few blackout dates, most days in June after the 10th would work for me. What works for you?

1 hour ago, Machine Gun said:

...but June 19 is Father's Day so I'll be staying home that day.

Hmmm, I didn't realize that...  Not a problem, though as I don't have anything other than 4th of July weekend that would interfere.  I could also make the trip on a weekday if that's better.  I know there are other Buick folks in the CNY area -- hopefully they will chime-in and we can all storm the streets of Norwich one day this summer!  ;)

12 hours ago, 60FlatTop said:

I*'m good for lunch at Coleman's almost any Monday thru Thursday.

I like where this thread is going!  ;)

Lunch at Coleman's would also be a great excuse for a ride.  Another thing to consider is the Syracuse Nationals is scheduled for July 15-17.  That's another event that could serve as the catalyst for a Buick get-together.  https://syracusenationals.com/

Another possibility is the Cadillac & Buick Lawn Show at the Saratoga Auto Museum on June 4th*.  https://www.saratogaautomuseum.org/events/2022/6/4-cadillac-buick-lawn-show-

Would be nice if we could get several of us together for one or more such gathering this summer.

*My wife just reminded me of another commitment I have on June 4, but don't let that deter the rest of you...

• Like 3

Wow, some great suggestions! I'm open to whatever you guys suggest with regard to food and activities. You guys live up there and know best what to see and where to eat.

I'm available only on or after June 10th. Let's wait a couple of days more to see who else may be interested in an outing, and then maybe we can throw around some dates.

Edited by Machine Gun
Typo (see edit history)
  • Like 1

When you visit, look for two of my cars……..1931 Cadillac Fleetwood Cabriolet in blue……..we owned that car for forty years……..and a sedan.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, auburnseeker said:

You'll have to come to my house to see the Auburn Phaeton they used to have.   Wonder what they replaced it with?  Used to sit next to a 36 or 37 Cord phaeton I believe.  I think both were on long term loan.

I want to get a ride…….not look at it! 😎

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

I guess it's time to throw a few dates out there. I'm retired, but I don't know who else might be, so I'll keep my suggestions to weekend days. I'm available this month on 06/11 & 06/12, 06/18, & 06/26. Thoughts?

I have plans for the 11th (family party) & 12th (annual Pontiac show).  Not sure about the 18th (Father's Day on the 19th).  26th is possible...  Are we still talking about the NE Classic Car Museum?

Yes I was talking about the museum, although I'm open to alternate suggestions. And lunch of course! Food is good!

I'll put a stake in the ground for the 26th. Let's see who else might chime in. I'm quite flexible.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Sounds like the start of a good plan.  Am still “practicing” at retirement - LOL - so most any date would work for me. with enough heads up.  26th looks good.

Museum would be fun and it’s a great afternoon trip, and am also open to other ideas within the “general” vicinity.  

Guess it’s time to dust the car off, kick the tires and light the fires…. 😎

• Like 3

It doesn't look like the group is getting any bigger, so maybe now's the time to firm up our plans. Assuming that the 26th will be the date, perhaps one of you locals can suggest a time to meet, and what else (if anything) we might do in addition to the museum, where to eat, etc. etc. It's nearly a three hour drive for me to the museum, so I could be up there as early as 9:00 AM, or at time thereafter.

OK, I have the 26th marked on my calendar.  Meeting somewhere for lunch would probably make the most sense.  We ate at the Norwich Diner last year, however, I'd be up for another option if anyone knows of a particularly good place somewhere in the surrounding area.  I'll look myself, but the diner could be the default.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, BUICK RACER said:

...maybe he could join you, he has 2- '56's A special and a century.

Maybe...?  Tell him we'd be happy to have him!  The more the merrier!  ;)

Please ask him if he has any good lunch suggestions.  We have the Norwich Diner as the current default...

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
50 minutes ago, Machine Gun said:

Everybody still up for meeting on Sunday? How about we meet for lunch at the Norwich Diner and then head to the museum?

On 6/11/2022 at 11:01 AM, BUICK RACER said:

My Brother, Chris lives in Norwich, maybe he could join you, he has 2- '56's A special and a century.

I'm still in - it looks like scattered thunderstorms should hold-off until late in the day.  So far, it's Norwich Diner.  Meet at 12:00 noon?  Nina's might be another possibility (https://www.ninaspizzeria.biz/menu.html).

Haven't heard anything from Roberta's brother.  He's still welcome to attend if the schedule works out...

15 minutes ago, EmTee said:

If I get a confirmation from everyone planning to attend I'll check with the museum to see whether they'll reserve spaces directly in front of the museum for us to park.  ;)

That would be great, thanx! As to where to meet, I'll leave it to you locals to decide since I don't know the area. Just let me know a place and time, and I'll be there.

29 minutes ago, dibarlaw said:

Sorry to say we will drop out as family from NYC and Conneticut are decending upon us this Sunday.

Drat!

That's a shame. It would have been a chance to escape 😄.

9 hours ago, dibarlaw said:

Sorry to say we will drop out as family from NYC and Conneticut are decending upon us this Sunday.

Drat!

That just means we'll need to think of another excuse for a drive.  There's still the Syracuse Nationals, Coleman's, other ideas...?

So, who's in for Sunday- @KAD36, @Machine Gun and me?  Are @auburnseeker  and @JohnD1956 interested?

Am needing to do some work on my moms house, who lives a few hours out of town.  It’s not a big deal but at her age anything in the house is a big deal so that’s a priority.  Playing it by ear.  Been so busy this spring sadly don’t think the car has more than 150 miles on it this year yet…..

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, EmTee said:

I'm OK with Sunday, but we could try to reschedule, if others think there's a better date...

I'm thinking the same way here. Let's see if anyone who has a conflict this weekend but would otherwise have come wants to reschedule. I have Sunday blocked out, so I don't need much advance notice.  

Looks like I won’t be heading back to Binghamton until Sunday morning by the time I get done here so it will be a bit rushed for me - until I get home, switch horses, blow the dust off the car and head up there, so I’m going to pass.  If you guys decide to do a replan or a sequel let’s post it here….

I did fire up the car this morning before I left maybe that’s partial credit…. nothing like a 550 rpm idle and the smell of no catalytic converter out the back….

• Like 1