1949 Oldsmobile 98 Futuramic "Rocket" - $18,500 (Wheaton Il) not mine

1949 Oldsmobile 98 Futuramic "Rocket" - $18,500 (Wheaton)

https://chicago.craigslist.org/wcl/cto/d/wheaton-1949-oldsmobile-98-futuramic/7486522562.html

Super nice survivor car! It has the original Rocket engine, and Hydramatic 4-speed automatic trans were rebuilt about four years ago. This year, I took it out of storage, and it started right up. It runs and drives excellent—new tires and battery last year. I can tell you a lot more about this beautiful classic car. At the car shows, we have never seen another 98 Futuramic before. It stands out over the Chevy and Ford's out there. I have way too much money into this car. I am looking to sell it outright or trade it for something in the '50s, '60s, or 70'. Mike 6 three zero, 312, zero three, 2 five.

00M0M_gO1H2U2ice3z_0q80hq_1200x900.jpg01515_buvcvSR1omsz_0CI0t2_1200x900.jpg00m0m_aQUBZwSqK8Qz_0CI0oB_1200x900.jpg00t0t_fX2cBZFTeM8z_0CI0t2_1200x900.jpg

• Like 2

The Internet is a powerful tool in some cases.  So easy to get some history on this particular car.  For sale by Gateway Classics in 2020, put on Bring a Trailer (BAT) August 2020 and bid to $10,800. 

BAT seems to bring the best prices around, so I think at that point the market has spoken and very low five digits is value, even though it's a pretty car and as stated one not seen often....here's a video from Gateway

1949 Oldsmobile Futuramic For Sale Gateway Classic Cars Las Vegas #297-LVS - Bing video

Here's the completed BAT listing:

1949 Oldsmobile Futuramic 98 Four-Door Sedan for sale on BaT Auctions - closed on August 11, 2021 (Lot #52,941) | Bring a Trailer

• Like 2

From what I understand those rocket V8s are good motors and powerful too! So if you want and Olds from the era get the later ones that have power brakes and steering; '53 - '54! The price is too aggressive for a 4 door however the car looks very nice. The color is a bit bland for me;  a darker color on the roof would liven it up a bit. GLWTS

I owned a (same color) Crest Blue 1949 Olds 88 sedan for many years. Seller states he's never seen another 98 Futuramic at car shows but according to the BaT ad he's only owned the car for 18 months. The BaT ad also states the odometer was reset and the car's actual mileage is unknown. This 98 Deluxe 4-door sedan was the most popular Olds model produced in 1949 with a production of 49,001 so it's not really a rare vehicle. It does look like a fairly nice car but being a 4-door sedan maybe it's just not collectible enough. 

Those red wires attach to what might be a non-original horn relay(?) someone added next to the voltage regulator. 

3 minutes ago, TerryB said:

There were comments on BaT that $15k could be a reasonable price.  Anyone figure out what the red wire from the battery is doing?  It goes into the passenger compartment.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, TerryB said:

There were comments on BaT that $15k could be a reasonable price.  Anyone figure out what the red wire from the battery is doing?  It goes into the passenger compartment.

Looks to me like he has a phone charger on the floor in the car, probably the red wire you see…..

9 hours ago, trimacar said:

The Internet is a powerful tool in some cases.  So easy to get some history on this particular car. 

I am sure glad that he blanked out the license plates in the CL ad so that nobody could find him and do . . . . ?? What again. . .   😎

1 minute ago, m-mman said:

I am sure glad that he blanked out the license plates in the CL ad so that nobody could find him and do . . . . ?? What again. . .   😎

Isn’t that the silliest thing since car alarms?  

Here’s my name and phone number and where the car is located, but for goodness sake don’t show a license number so someone can look up….uh, name and phone number and where the car is located?

• Like 1

I do keep coming back to this car.  It would look awesome in a dark maroon or dark blue but it is what it is.  I love the 1949s from all manufacturers.  I have owned a 1949 Roadmaster Sedanette, a 1949 Kaiser, a 1949 Hudson Commodore 8 and a 1949 Chrysler New Yorker Club Coupe.  So yes, this car speaks to me.  I love the simple dashes of the Olds and the 1949 Cadillac.  

It would be fun to pair with a 49 Cadillac, perhaps a 60S and tag team them.