For Sale:1948 Dodge Woodie Wagon B-Series Cantrell Body - $12,500 - Keene, NH - Ambitious Project - Not Mine

For Sale:1948 Dodge Woodie Wagon B-Series Cantrell Body - $12,500 - Keene, NH - Ambitious Project

1948 Dodge Woodie Wagon B-Series - cars & trucks - by owner -... (craigslist.org)
Seller's Description:

1948 Dodge Woodie Wagon B-Series 1/2 Ton Truck with 4 door Cantrell body, very rare - only a handful of survivors. This truck yard drives and needs a total restoration. Possible trade for other Mopars. We are asking $12,500.00 or reasonable offer.
Contact: If interested please call, (603) three-5-five-7-seven-1-six.
Copy and paste in your email:  beba01122ec13e04b2e2f6421aace158@sale.craigslist.org

I have no personal interest or stake in the eventual sale of this 1948 Dodge Woodie Wagon B-Series Cantrell Body - Ambitious Project.

'48 Dodge Woodie B-Series Cantrell NH a.jpg

'48 Dodge Woodie B-Series Cantrell NH b.jpg

'48 Dodge Woodie B-Series Cantrell NH c.jpg

'48 Dodge Woodie B-Series Cantrell NH d.jpg

'48 Dodge Woodie B-Series Cantrell NH e.jpg

'48 Dodge Woodie B-Series Cantrell NH f.jpg

'48 Dodge Woodie B-Series Cantrell NH g.jpg

• Like 2

Looks like a neat wagon in the advertisement, but to redo the woodwork, I would rather build a lapstrake boat, and have more fun with it. Would make a great farm vehicle/ farm stand runner if it could be had for one or thousand, practically speaking.

• Like 1

Cantrell had a long association with Dodge, since the early 1920s. Cantrell was located on the north shore of long Island about half way out the length . They also built bodies for Packard and at least 2 or 3 for Franklin ( on special order) one of the Franklin/Cantrell wagons was restored and is owned by a friend of mine  that I have known for nearly 60 years. I authored an article on Cantrell some time back and many years ago there was a photo feature in the AACA magazine on Cantrell bodied cars. I knew some of the people that worked for that company 50 years ago when they were in their 70s. The factory burned down several times because it was located next to a main rail road line and the trains that time were powered by coal, sparks from the smoke stack of the train engine would set the wood on fire in the yard of the factory !  Factory had to be located there because chassis were delivered in quantity by rail. Here is a period photo of the Cantrell factory.

Yeah I know I have to much stuff on coach work , but that is what happens if you have been collecting since your teen years - when most kids were buying comic books in the 1960s I was looking for old sales literature/magazines/photographs ....still am !

Cantrellfactory001.jpg

Edited by Walt G (see edit history)
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 2

That cast off body photo is from my collection and was used in a print publication some time ago - interesting story why they were there. Cantrell issued a few sales pieces, mostly single sheet like the one shown here for the late 1940s Dodge, but also a 4 page item for some Chrysler products and Packard issued a folder for the bodies that Cantrell built for them. Most of Cantrell advertising was in the society magazines of that pre war era : The Spur, Country Life as that is the audience they would be selling the cars to. There was a car dealership selling Franklins, DeSoto, Chryslers just a mile south of the Cantrell factory. Cantrell kept masonite panels in the shape of body panels for assorted makes of cars , so if they got an order they would take that shape and trace it onto the wood sheets to then carve out to shape.

To much information , to many stories here I can tell with all that can be documented by period photographs, images and information. Unfortunately no room for this available in the AACA magazine.

Edited by Walt G (see edit history)

36 minutes ago, Walt G said:

To much information , to many stories here I can tell with all that can be documented by period photographs, images and information. Unfortunately no room for this available in the AACA magazine.

The National Woodie Club is always looking for woodie related content for the Woodie Times (the club newsletter). I recently built a wood body on a 1950 Power Wagon, the body on the truck was suposed to have been built by Campbell but Cantrell also built some of the original bodies, there was some discussion about that in the thread. If you were looking for a home for a Cantrell story I'll bet Roddy (Woodie Times editor) would love to hear from you.