1939 Chrysler steering wheel

Xander Wildeisen

854658 Is the MoPar part number.  I no longer have MoPar parts books going back that far but anyone who does should be able to identify the exact application.  Given the part number begins with 8 it is most likely 1938 or 1939 era.

• Like 1

It is different from my 38 wheel. Looks like 38 Chrysler is a odd year for horn button and horn ring. I do not mind putting a 39 steering wheel on my car. As long as it fits the column. Looks like 39 went to a column shift? Is a 39 wheel hub the same for column shift, as the 38 wheel?

1 minute ago, Xander Wildeisen said:

It is different from my 38 wheel. Looks like 38 Chrysler is a odd year for horn button and horn ring. I do not mind putting a 39 steering wheel on my car. As long as it fits the column. Looks like 39 went to a column shift? Is a 39 wheel hub the same for column shift, as the 38 wheel?

Yes, I believe 1939 was column shift.  I looked at a 39 brochure on line and it shows column shift.

Look at eBay 1939 brochures, many show a pic of the dash.  I have a 1939 Chrysler shop manual supplement but it won’t have any part numbers.  The 1938 Chrysler shop manual is the base manual to use for 1939 along with the 1939 supplement.

A word of caution---In the 1930's and 1940's Chrysler used a larger steering shaft on the 8 cylinder cars.  Verify the verify the size of the hole in the hub compared to yours before you buy.  Also in some years the hub is larger on the 8 cylinder cars as well.

• Like 2